Clicking noise when taking up drive.

I have just fitted an ashcroft rebuilt transfer-box and changed the clutch (genuine 130) on my 110. At the same time I replaced the handbrake pads on my x-eng disc brake conversion and changed to the new style clutch pedal spring. Having done all of this I now have a clicking noise when I take up drive. 

The noise is definitely a click rather than a clunk and was not present before doing this work. It does not always happen when changing gear but always happens when pulling off. High/low and difflock make no difference and it does not appear to to do it when in reverse. It sounds like it is coming from the centre/front area but this could be misleading, and it can possibly be felt through the clutch pedal and the gear leaver. Other than the clicking noise the vehicle feels and drives as it should, including the clutch and makes no other untoward noises.

Having done a little research I will lube the clutch spring and see if that makes a difference but as it does not happen every-time I doubt it will.

Does anyone have any suggestion of other things to check?
Is it likely to be anything that will get worse/irreparably damaged if I continue to drive it?

15 minutes ago, Snagger said:

My initial suspects would be the X Brake pads and the transfer box input gear being loose.

I will check the pads thanks.

What do you mean by the input gear being loose? Do you mean play between it and the gearbox output shaft splines or loose in a way that can be tightened?

I'm not that familiar with the LT77 and LT230.  There is the old spline wear problem on the main shaft and input gear, and to may have a small amount of that.  I don't know how the gear is fixed to the shaft, whether it is held by a nut like he Series boxes or whether it is preloaded between two taper bearings (I think it's the latter).  Ether way, if that is not set correctly, you could get a bit of noise through the gear moving axially.

17 hours ago, Snagger said:

you could get a bit of noise through the gear moving axially.

If this were the case would i not get the noise when moving from engine braking to engine drive as the force of drive though the box is being reversed and should move the gear axially? If so this is not the case it is only when initiall taking up drive.

16 hours ago, reb78 said:

Check the prop shaft UJs as well. 

I checked and regreased all of them when i had them off to change the box over and they are all good.

I have done a bit more investigation now. Contrary to my original post it does not make the sound when it is in low range, or when it is in reverse. But diff lock in high make no differance. You can aslo fell the click most prominntly though the low range gear lever and I feels as if the lever moves slightly as the click happens. 

Is this likely to be a linkage issue where it is not fully selecting high range unitl it starts to drive?

19 hours ago, dag019 said:

If this were the case would i not get the noise when moving from engine braking to engine drive as the force of drive though the box is being reversed and should move the gear axially? If so this is not the case it is only when initiall taking up drive.

I have done a bit more investigation now. Contrary to my original post it does not make the sound when it is in low range, or when it is in reverse. But diff lock in high make no differance. You can aslo fell the click most prominntly though the low range gear lever and I feels as if the lever moves slightly as the click happens. 

Is this likely to be a linkage issue where it is not fully selecting high range unitl it starts to drive?

It could be the high/low range selector system, something maladjusted or loose.

Have you checked all the engine and transmission mounts?  Low range produces more torque, so will twist the units on their mountings harder.

15 hours ago, Snagger said:

It could be the high/low range selector system, something maladjusted or loose

I have now readjusted the selctor and it has made no differance.

I have had a drive down the road with the centre panel out to see if I can feel anything through the casing and I cannot. With a hand on the casing the handbrake, top and bottom transfer case and transfer reflector casing all feel normal. But if you hold the transfer selector you can feel it. 

I did check all the mounts were good when I refitted but will check again to make sure everything is tight. But given the above if it was a mount I would expect to feel it through the casing  which leads me to believe it is an internal problem.

could it be anything to do with the clutch change?

I will phone ashcroft when they are open tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. 

Don't know if it is relevant but I had something similar when moving from rest, forwards only. It was more of a chirp than a click, but was a failed near side engine mount. Happened again a year or so later when one of the mount bolts worked loose.

17 hours ago, Roverdrive said:

It was more of a chirp than a click, but was a failed near side engine mount. Happened again a year or so later when one of the mount bolts worked loose.

Thank you I hadn't looked at the engine mounts, I will check those this evening, although again I would have expected this to show both in high and low range.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think you have an issue with the centre diff.

I am awaiting a call back from Ashcroft so hopefully will have their thoughts later today, but I am leaning towards i being an internal problem with the box as well.

Re the mountings, as I said, the transmission produces more torque in low range, and so torque reaction of the transmission and engine will be most in low range too, so a failing mount could be masked in high and only apparent in low.  But that would show as movement of the entire assembly, not just the high/low lever.