Anyone going to Kelmarsh ( Billing ) show

As on my other post I am off to Kelmarsh with the club I am a member of. Yes it is at another venue as the old Billing show ground is no longer available. It is being run by the people who have been running the Billing show recently, But there is another Billing show being run by the people who ran the off-road course at the old Billing. I am not sure which will be best.

I'm interested to hear how the Kelmarsh event is goint to be, as we plan on going to a UK Event next year. because of the 70 year of the brand. We are quite a lot of members of the Danish Land Rover Club that have a tradition of going every ten years, however it can be hard to find out which event is the best/right one. In '98 at Eastnor it was en epic event, but in '08 at the same place it was quite dull in comparison.

Not sure how much has changed but I was involved with the original Kelmarsh event planning and, at the time, it promised to be a much better event than Billing. Unfortunately, at the time, it never happened but I thought the venue was MUCH better than Billing and so was the off road course. Security would have been a huge improvement because there are no public rights of way into the venue and, more importantly, no "residents" in static caravans that have very close ties with the thieves that infested the Billing event. We were looking forward to a venue where the show organisers could actually turn people away who shouldn't be there.

I hope that Kelmarsh finally gets the chance to live up to the expectations and we can finally put Billing to rest once and for all, something which should have happened years ago.

• Like 1

I have been to Billing every year for the last 20-something years, but this year I will not be going to either the not-Billing show or the Kelmarsh show.  Shame.

I knew that Billing would one day come to an end, and TBH it is probably well overdue, but I don't plan to be spend my time and money supporting either half of a potentially split show over two weekends.

Chris

I too have been going to Billing for a number of years (most of the last 12 years) but I did feel that it has lost some of its sparkle in recent years.

The new show on the old camping grounds can never be as big a show due to space limitations so I am going to go to Kelmarsh. I think it is worth a punt and can then make my decision based on that

Fingers crossed.

If anyone does go, look out for a white 200tdi 90 SW with matching 109 camping trailer

Yeah tbh I would have liked to have gone to the farm run event rather than the Kelmarsh one as I think it would have more of a vibe to it being on and so close to the original site where as I think Kelmarsh will just be another Peterborough show, its just a shame son and g/friend can't make it the following weekend as we would have all gone there instead but there is always next year and maybe if I am lucky the 2a will be done in time :D

Having lived relatively close to Billing, I went several times.  It was always a disappointment, with negligible security, a lot of undesirable people cycling or riding quads around the stands (should be pedestrian only, except little kids and disabled), high fees and dire ablutions.  The stands were mostly dull too - far too much superfluous, unrelated tat.  The last Peterborough show I went to was much better.

Yeah I think it changed a lot after the landy mags started battling it out every year to get one over each other to run the show so it started to loose its self after that and other shows started springing up everywhere, I miss the big guys like craddocks and the tyre changing company's that drew the crowds in with live auctions and tyre changing going on, I too get fed up with iron monger, Sauna and other car stalls that tend to flood into the shows now a days but I suppose that's the way it is these days, shame though :(

Well I was quite impressed I was expecting it to be more of a Peterborough show but as it turned out it was more like a Billing show with all the stalls together but without the off road course being there as that was a little bit further up the same road, I would have liked a few more stalls there but its a new venue so hopfully next year there will be more if there is one :D

Oh I managed to get a Disco / Def diff for the rear axle on the 2a so that will be fitted soon :D

Unfortunately I was working both days so was unable to go but had to drive past it. (Live in Leicester & was working in Finedon which is just south of Kettering).

Hope the wet weather didn't put too much of a damper on proceedings!