Shipping Large Items

Does anyone on here have experience of shipping large, one off items around the UK?

I'm trying to find a company that'll courier some of L19MUD's pallet racking from Suffolk to Somerset. It seems to be too large for all the big courier companies (we're talking about 3m x 0.76m x 0.76m and 278kg - the 3m is the killer), so I've been trying the find-a-courier sites, but getting no interest at all (not exorbitantly expensive quotes - no quotes at all).

Ideally it would be an evening or weekend pickup at L19MUD's end, but I suspect it'll have to be a weekday.

Any suggestions?

shiply.com 

you put on what it is and people bid to take it for you then you pick which is the cheapest or most competent depending on your point of view. 

Or hire a flatbed trailer. 3m is only 10 ft and a flatbed would carry a couple of tonnes. 

Or hire a LWB van, they're pretty cheap for a days hire.

Edited by Cynic-al

If you get no luck, have a mate who may be able to do it, has an old-ish Iveco pickup, which may be long enough in the bed, and even if not he would probably make it work...

Drop me a PM if you are interested... Though it's likely 8+ hours driving so never going to be cheap. He's at Jct22 M5 (as I am!).

I've tried shiply and similar places a few times and never got anyone interested or cheap enough, sounds like you are getting similar treatment.

Tried a couple of similar services but not shiply - I'll give that a go.

Trailer isn't an option - I've only got a Honda civic to tow with. It wouldn't be heavily loaded, and a small flatbed might even be legal. But I can't see the hire place being too happy about it. 

Van hire would technically be doable, but it's a near 600 mile round trip so into additional mileage charges if I did it in one day - plus the cost of my time (lost  income). By the time you tot that lot up its a great deal more than £50 - it doesn't really make economic sense if I have to do it myself.

That said - I'm not expecting it'll be cheap. It's a large item and a fair distance.

Will drop you a PM, Pete - worth asking, though I suspect it's only likely to be affordable as a part load with someone who's already heading this way.

If you're really stuck and willing to cover the difference then I'm heading down to Wales the last weekend of the month. I could hire a trailer (might be able to borrow a flat bed / car trailer from a mate if he's willing). Head up late Friday / early Saturday morning before heading west, drop off stuff with you and then carry onto SW Wales.

Basically would be fuel from Surrey to Suffolk and then say M4 down to Somerset and back, possibly trailer hire for weekend.

I've used a company in the past that was along the lines of 'same day delivery .com'. I believe it was always TNT that turned up so you may find them to be of use. I moved a Triumph Spitfire bonnet with them for a remarkably cheap price so well worth a bit of searching. 

Whenever I've bought long stuff it's always come night freight or green something? The problem with these is they use box vans so I'm not sure they'd be too happy hand loading and unloading all the racking?

I guess you could try pallet ways or pallet ex but they usually consider a pallet as 1200 x 1200 so you'd be paying for 3 pallet spaces which would be atleast £40 a space. Plus they can get grumpy if you haven't got a forklift to load and unload with.

I got a machine part from London to Doncaster via shiply once for £50. It was a back of the van job, probably 100kg or so, so not as big as yours but good value at £50!

30 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

Whenever I've bought long stuff it's always come night freight or green something? The problem with these is they use box vans so I'm not sure they'd be too happy hand loading and unloading all the racking?

I guess you could try pallet ways or pallet ex but they usually consider a pallet as 1200 x 1200 so you'd be paying for 3 pallet spaces which would be atleast £40 a space. Plus they can get grumpy if you haven't got a forklift to load and unload with.

I got a machine part from London to Doncaster via shiply once for £50. It was a back of the van job, probably 100kg or so, so not as big as yours but good value at £50!

Pallet ways often have pallet trucks on the back... but they're no good with wide pallets.

Something like shiply is probably your best bet or a see if there are any local haulage companies without a back load?

Rather than looking for vans or couriers look up freight companies. I had a Salisbury axle delivered to em from Kent to Yorkshire for about £40 from memory. Similarly I had my 110 delivered from Chatham docks to Middlesbrough for £200. Which is probably less than it would have cost me in Petrol to drive it that distance, not that driving was an option because it was on American plates at the time, that was organised through Shiply

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Pallet ways often have pallet trucks on the back... but they're no good with wide pallets.

Something like shiply is probably your best bet or a see if there are any local haulage companies without a back load?

Depends what vehicles the local franchise depot that covers your area runs. It can be pot luck if they have a tail lift sometimes :/

1 hour ago, geoffbeaumont said:

That's DX Delivery and Tuffnells. Both account holders only, unfortunately.

That;s a shame!

On 17/07/2017 at 10:59 PM, Ratty43 said:

I've used a company in the past that was along the lines of 'same day delivery .com'. I believe it was always TNT that turned up so you may find them to be of use. I moved a Triumph Spitfire bonnet with them for a remarkably cheap price so well worth a bit of searching. 

Sadly, they have a 50kg weight limit.

Guess I should follow up on this.

After talking to various people from businesses large and small I've had a reasonable quote via Shiply and accepted that. Hopefully this will all work out - it won't be done for a couple of weeks (to suit Sam and I, nothing to do with the courier).