Ford 460 V8

I can't see why it wouldn't, after all people have put GMC 6.5l V8 diesels in there, the V8 from a Corvette has been inserted under the bonnet of a 90 by Twisted and JE have dropped a 4.7 litre supercharged jaguar lump into a 110

With enough cutting, you can fit anything in anything...

hqdefault.jpg

But yes, I can't see why not, though I get the feeling that an LS would have better aftermarket support, even this side of the atlantic -aluminium, lighter, more modern blah blah...

They are a heavy lump being iron, the figure I have seen is around the 350Kg mark.

Do tell us your plans ;)

Loving that pic of the old Renault! 

Actually I've made a mistake. It's not a 460, it's a 351W. Also it's not mine. I've still to finish off my 4.6.

My dad is building a 110 and has a 351 lying around. What's causing the biggest questions is drive train. He would prefer an auto but no idea what one and how to mate it to transfer box...

If you wanted an auto, I'd wager a 727 torqueflite would bolt up, these were fitted in early Rangies, so of course have the LT230 on the back of them.... and have massive torque figures put through them.

Bit lighter, around 250Kg, still not as light as a nice RV8 :P

I'm pretty sure the torqueflite was only on the LT230 , but the BW T/B is the same bolt pattern ?

Back when I was playing with US iron I used Rodley Motors in Bradford for parts and info ( Transam 455 moneypit ) , that was a while ago but worth a punt for info ?

cheers

Steve b

Really not sure to be honest, don't often need to muck about with the auto boxes.

It does sound like you will be into an adapter anyways, and seems like the yank place out found at least has a solution.

I'd be interested to know if the RV8 application had an adapter or bolted straight up -never played with a 727 box yet :)

I suppose the other thing to look at is what will bolt up without adaptation, and then consider one of the stateside adapters to LT230 -I think inchworm is one...

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

I'd be interested to know if the RV8 application had an adapter or bolted straight up -never played with a 727 box yet :)

Factory RRC fit came with a torque convertor housing to engine adapter plate. Back end fitted with an adaptor to a LT230.

Yes it's A&A transmission that's looking into what adapter and flex plate he needs.

Just for the fullness of options, what manual gearbox would be best placed to handle the torque and be able to mate up with the LT230?

No suggestions for gearbox if he wanted to stay with a manual?

I know the motor would turn any LR gearbox to a box of metal filings. I also think that the Tremec TKO range of gearboxes aren't 4x4 compatible.

If that is correct what would the options be?

Something yank that bolts to it would be my answer for manual or auto, the TF727 was not as strong in LR form as it was behind some of the yank stuff and the thing's as old as the hills now - 3 speeds, really? :huh:

By the time you've p*ssed about with adapters and things you could likely order some massively overbuilt setup direct from the states that you pull out of the crate & just bolt it up and it lives happily ever after no matter how many ponies you hit it with.

What you do about axles is the next question... :ph34r: