UK type approval penalties

ThreeSheds

Simple question - which I have googles and searched for the answer but failed...

what are the ramifications and likely penalties for fitting non type approved components? (if one is caught :D )

Cheers

Roger

any accessory or just not OEM replacement parts ?

don't confuse the processes,type approval is part of the manufacturing and registration process, so once vehicle has completed that test who is ever going to check would be my first question?

I'd hate to think how many components are fitted to vehicles that have gone no where near the process of type approval, so why worry ?

OK - more detail then - I am looking at an NAS receiver type of towbar fitting for a Disco2. These are obviously common and are approved in the USA, and are purpose built for the Disco2, so I have no qualms on safety grounds, but was wondering what the possible penalty might be if an officer of the law decided to do an inspection of my trailer etc and noticed that the towing fitting on the car has no TA label.

Labels fall off with age, so doubt any police officer would look that close for a label, VOSA might be requested to examine if the vehicle is involved in a traffic incident where the cause concerns the towing attachment. 

looking at Disco 2 towing kit in http://www.albrit.de/epc.cfm?PAGE=A01155&CAR=L5&SPRACHE=EN & http://www.albrit.de/epc.cfm?PAGE=A01156&CAR=L5&SPRACHE=EN

there is no 'reciever' type shown, only the EU/UK swan neck removable type. 

just ask yourself is it worth the very remote risk.

3 hours ago, western said:

there is no 'reciever' type shown, only the EU/UK swan neck removable type.

Which are considered dangerous and illegal in most jurisdictions around the world.

Is a better, heavier duty hitch (receiver/hitch) genuine Landrover Hitch from places like Australia and US not legal in the UK as they are a genuine LR item.

I don't suppose the vehicle is classed as a commercial is it as I believe those have different criteria for type approval.

With the comments above in mind you also have to ask yourself what your insurers will say either when you inform them that you have fitted that tow bar or after an accident while you are towing.

Thanks for the replies guys - thought provoking and helpful....

I see that LR4x4 forums have not changed in the two or three years I have been away :) 

12 hours ago, garrycol said:

Is a better, heavier duty hitch (receiver/hitch) genuine Landrover Hitch from places like Australia and US not legal in the UK as they are a genuine LR item.

Not legal in uk if not European type approved for that vehicle...

It's not commercial, and I appreciate your other comments Happyoldgit... It's just that the NAS spec stuff is so damned sexy compared to ours:

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/NAS_hitch.html

Not quite on topic, but sort of related. A friend wanted a different steering wheel for his Maclaren. The car has whole vehicle type approval. The cost of a replacement steering wheel? £30,000. Because it had to go through the entire process in order to be approved for fitting to the car