coloured marks on bolt heads Puma 90 2.2 2013

I've looked on the web an on a number of LR sites but can't find any topic relating to the colours on top of the bolt heads in my Puma.  I imagine they have something to do with Torque rating but wanted to see if anyone actually knows the reason for the colour.  if the colours do relate to to torque ratings any idea which colour equates to which Torque rating?

Thanks Shorty 

Yellow Bolts

Green Bolts

IIRC its just to signify which bolts have been fitted and torque loaded = that particular task is complete. 

don't know if the different colours have any meaning.

there are so many different torque settings for all the various bolts, doubt the standard one colour range would be large enough to cover all settings. 

28 minutes ago, western said:

IIRC its just to signify which bolts have been fitted and torque loaded = that particular task is complete. 

don't know if the different colours have any meaning.

there are so many different torque settings for all the various bolts, doubt the standard one colour range would be large enough to cover all settings. 

Thanks western, in that case its back to the work shop manual for torque settings.. thought it might be a quick way round.. but as you say looks like every set of bolts on the truck have different settings.

Cheers shorty

Generally speaking a paint Mark signifies the bolt has been torqued up. The colour I would imagine is the department it was done in though this is a guess.

Most car manufacturers use the system of bolt head size for torque settings ie a 10mm head will be X torque regardless of the size of the bolt shank and thread. Likewise a 13mm head will be a different torque. Therefore the man on the shop floor uses one machine to tighten all the 10mm heads and another for all the 13mm. But don't use this as a definite because I can't guarantee how correct I am.

Mike

Yes paint is used to signify a torque operation has been completed. In my experience different colours signified different torque values, even on the same head size. I was never aware of any standard.

Marks generally are used as a signal to a downstream process where the presence of the mark is checked as part of that process. Often it is a simple felt pen mark, for example to check there's a thread in a machined hole. It's better to 'overcheck' in this way before the thread is acually used, often many operations downstream.