Range rover 3.9 v8 problem

Hello I am new to this forum 

I have recently purchased a 1970 mk 2 defender with a 3.9 v8 range rover engine in. The engine is from a 1992 rover.

When accelerating it will only get to around half revs and then it is like the engine is restricted! I have cleaned the spring on the rear of the air intake and replaced the fuel filter.

Starts first time and runs up lovely just wont rev over half. Sorry haven't got a rev counter in. 

Can any one offer some advice please 

Cheers

Fuelling or ignition. My money is on ignition, if only because that's usually the problem with old RV8s.

Do you know what type of ignition is fitted? It's probably going to be using a distributor, but there are different variations, and it might not be what came out of the donor Range(?) Rover.

If you're not sure, get us some photos so we know what we're talking about.

It could simply be that the timing isn't set right, or the vacuum advance in the distributor has failed.

Other possibilities would be inadequate fuel pressure, I guess a worn camshaft, or a restriction in the air intake, or failed sensors if it's running the original hotwire engine management system (or any other for that matter), or if it's running an aftermarket ECU the mapping may not be set up properly - but let's check the basics first.

My first check given this scenario would be to check that the vacuum advance is working.... a small pipe going from the dizzy to inlet plenum... remove it from the inlet plenum and suck on it.... it should feel restricted... if you can suck n suck on it the rubber diaphragm is split hence not advancing the ignition.....

As it's a converted vehicle & we don't know what else might have been done there's a few things that need to be established.

Is it carburettors or fuel injection? 

Does pressing the accelerator to the floor fully open the butterflies - one in each carb if on carbs and just one in the mouth of the plenum if EFi?

Carburettors may have a restrictive device fitted. If it isn't on carbs you can ignore this one.

Is it manual transmission or has the conversion included automatic gearbox?

What - if anything - did the previous owner tell you? 

Was it like this when you test drove it?

Edited by paintman

• 1 month later...