Bollinger Electric 4x4

=jon=

22 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Yeehaw?

2019-ram-hd-laramie-longhorn-exterior.jp

2014-Chevy-2500-3500-1-e1488848424919.jp

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

But you know, they only sell by the millions and millions. 

There’s one on every other driveway around my neck of the woods.  Their wives’ arses do look big in what they’re wearing, but they should be more concerned that their dicks look small in what they’re driving...

I had a drive in a Dodge Ram the other day.  It was absolutely wonderful but I have no use for one.

Back to the Bollinger - I feel a bit polarised by it. Good and bad everywhere.  For example, I love the sliding windows but the some of those welds don't fill me with confidence.  At that width, I'd far rather have a middle seat up front than be able to put a long pole down the middle of the car (maybe you can do both?).

Overall, though, I love that very basic, direct and functional design.  A lot!  It would be a car that suited me very well - if it wasn't an electric car!  The issues with lithium and the destruction that goes on to get power generation increased for electric cars spoil the alleged environmental benefits.  Not to mention the puny range.  One day, though, when every sun-facing roof is a solar panel and we have hydrogen technology sorted, electric vehicles will be great.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:43 PM, Bowie69 said:

Sorry Fridge, I suspect you would prefer that I didn't post any more like this then?

2020-silverado-hd-hero.jpg

.... and to finish with another 'meme', whatever they are:

maxresdefault.jpg

Jeez that takes ugly to new levels 🤮

WTF indeed

4 hours ago, Maverik said:

Lol.

I only looked quickly at the index page you linked to, but it seems they have the same problems we do on here, corrosion, leaks, electric issues. But I'm used to all these problems, so that face might be the deal breaker for me 😅

I think even the face of the Bollinger would be easier to live with.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mickeyw said:

Jeez that takes ugly to new levels 🤮

WTF indeed

Fugly indeed but I'd take that over the bland mediocrity that passes for normal on New Zealand roads.  Seriously, have designers lost the will to make something look nice?

8 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I only looked quickly at the index page you linked to, but it seems they have the same problems we do on here, corrosion, leaks, electric issues. 😅

From what little contact I've had with American stuff it's not exactly the pinnacle of engineering - often very "heavy dooty" but you still have the feeling that many corners were cut on all the other components... and cosmetically they just always appear to be designed by a 10-year-old boy who's watched too many Transformers movies and had too much sugar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

From what little contact I've had with American stuff it's not exactly the pinnacle of engineering - often very "heavy dooty" but you still have the feeling that many corners were cut on all the other components... and cosmetically they just always appear to be designed by a 10-year-old boy who's watched too many Transformers movies and had too much sugar.

:rofl:

Yoo Ess design philosophy summarized beautifully

15 hours ago, deep said:

Fugly indeed but I'd take that over the bland mediocrity that passes for normal on New Zealand roads.  Seriously, have designers lost the will to make something look nice?

Few US designers ever had that will...

8 hours ago, Snagger said:

Few US designers ever had that will...

Well, I guess "nice" isn't what they have been going for but at least they do something with style in mind.  The bland-boxes that pour out of East Asia onto our roads are so dull and uniform it makes me want to cry.

Electric has its place - for small, slow city-cars - but even there it has issues: a friend has a Tesla and when you're in summer-on-the-M25 traffic for a couple of hours with the aircon going full-blast, or stuck in stop-start snow with the heater on full-power in winter, it really guzzles battery-power.
I could use a battery-car for around 50% of my journeys (I have 3-phase here so an overnight charge of 150KWh is not a problem) but for longer journeys the need to hang around a charging-station for half an hour is a real offputter when compared to the "Energy-bandwidth" of the fast-fill HGV Diesel pumps.

Though I must give Tesla some credit for producing an electric-car that has want-one-on-my-drive aspirational styling, not something horribly-geeky like the Honda Insight!

As to the Bollinger, I'd *hope* it was built using modern weight-saving composite construction [think lots of honeycomb-cellular carbon-fibre and magnesium/aluminium alloy for weight-saving to offset the heavy batteries]. And have all-independent intelligent suspension, decent audio-system/soundproofing, infinitely-adjustable seating...

Now why don't our Japanese friends offer an all-electric version of the Lexus LX??

"It was cheap, relatively fast and an idiot could use it: these were major selling-points in the online world".

1 hour ago, Tanuki said:

Electric has its place - for small, slow city-cars - but even there it has issues: a friend has a Tesla and when you're in summer-on-the-M25 traffic for a couple of hours with the aircon going full-blast, or stuck in stop-start snow with the heater on full-power in winter, it really guzzles battery-power.
I could use a battery-car for around 50% of my journeys (I have 3-phase here so an overnight charge of 150KWh is not a problem) but for longer journeys the need to hang around a charging-station for half an hour is a real offputter when compared to the "Energy-bandwidth" of the fast-fill HGV Diesel pumps.

Though I must give Tesla some credit for producing an electric-car that has want-one-on-my-drive aspirational styling, not something horribly-geeky like the Honda Insight!

As to the Bollinger, I'd *hope* it was built using modern weight-saving composite construction [think lots of honeycomb-cellular carbon-fibre and magnesium/aluminium alloy for weight-saving to offset the heavy batteries]. And have all-independent intelligent suspension, decent audio-system/soundproofing, infinitely-adjustable seating...

Now why don't our Japanese friends offer an all-electric version of the Lexus LX??

"It was cheap, relatively fast and an idiot could use it: these were major selling-points in the online world".

Agree completely (only difference is an electric car will only do for me about 20% of the time due to distances traveled in one go!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on holiday at the moment and one of the theme parks we've been too has 4 electric charging points which have been full every day. Some days there have been 2 cars sat waiting to use them. So they come out at closing time then you can put yours on charge and... 

Guess you need a long cable so you can unplug them when they're finished charging and ... block them in. 

• 2 years later...