Ford 1.8 TD conversion

I'm not considering this for my 110 (I have my rebuilt 19J ^_^), just a hypothetical question that arose from a conversation I had recently with a friend who reminded me that I loved the 1.8 TD when I had a mondeo 17 years ago. It is a good point because the Ford engines are cheap to buy (£100) and really reliable. The power and torque figures are comparable with the 19J engine. Has anyone done or seen such conversion? There isn't much information out there on this one, although a quick google search found someone saying the torque characteristics of the ford engine didn't suit the gearing of a 110 - any truth in that?

Ford 1.8TD: power = 89 HP, torque = 180 Nm

Land Rover 19J: power = 85 HP, torque = 150 Nm

I haven't looked into it but I'd imagine the torque curve will be different? 

Ie the 1.8 has its torque much higher in the rev range so not much use for low speed crawling/towing etc? 

As above id look at just slotting a tdi in or if you're determined to be different and have an interesting project then I'd look towards a merc om606/5. 

More expensive but much better power and torque. 

Or on the other hand, it's your money, your Landrover and your time, I'd be interested to see how it goes just to see if it can be done and what obstacles and you overcome them. 

All the best 

jamie 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about this because the Ford 1.8 TD (Endura DE) engines from the early Mondeos are very robust and reliable, similar output to the 19J, fuel efficient and are intercooled (something lacking in a 19J). I know that putting in a Merc engine (I love the sound of the 5 cylinder Merc diesels) or a variety of Japanese diesels are a popular alternative to Land Rover's own engines (Tdi engines in particular). Given the reasons above not to mention the abundance and low price of a scrap Mondeo/Focus plus there is even a later direct injection version (Endura DI) I did a search just out of interest to see if anyone had put a Ford 1.8 in a 90/110 or even a series and found next to nothing so I thought that there must be good reasons reasons for this.

The more I think about it, the more problems I can think of: Torque curve possibly not suited as suggested, the exaust exits on the other side of the engine adding to the messing about to get it installed, the engine mounts will be completely different, no doubt requires modification to get one to fit a Land Rover gearbox and the timing belts (yes, 2 of them!) are only protected by a plastic case rather than a water proof case. I'm sure all of these can be overcome if you wanted to.

I guess that the lack of people coming forward with a Ford in a 90/110 answers my question - but almost anything is possible......