Range Rover Classic 3.9 Overfueling

Hi Guys,

I've got a 1992 Hard Dash 3.9 Auto SE, been bobtailed by the previous owner. When buying it I think I recall the owner saying it originally had cats that were now removed. So I have the lamba sensors in it, but no cats (and no back box either).

Its running very rich (so much the mrs won't come out in it with me!). I've invested in an ECUMate, it says I have fault codes 14 - water temp sensor and 17 - Throttle pot, it's also saying I'm in limp home mode (ticket about 1500 rpm) and the ECUMate is saying I'm running white tune with cats.

This problem seems to have been getting worse since a mate replace the valley gasket for me and I had a new temp sensor, so got him to swap that out at the time.

Before I start buy-in new parts, should I also consider putting the correct tun resistor into the loom? Is having the resistor with the tune for cats causing issues because the fuel map is wrong? Or should I swap out the water temp sensor and the other parts first.

And when they say throttle pot, do they mean the idle control valve on the side of the plenium, like ERR5322 or is it part of the MAF? I have a spare MAF so is it worth fitting that? Or could it be a wiring issue with the loom into the MAF...

thanks in advance for any help......

Edited by Darren Roberts

If the doodah says you have a knackered water temp sensor then that will definitely make it run rich, so I'd change that as a first step.

*Edit- just re-read your post again. So you have changed the water temp sensor and it's still overfuelling? 

Edited by Quagmire

Yep, also check the wires aren't broken - check the reading of the temp sensor is working at the ECU plug.

Hotwire diagnostics in the tech archive.

Tune resistors won't make that much difference, certainly won't make it run that rich. But do swap once you have sorted the other issue.

Throttle pot is on the plenum, connected to the other side of the butterfly, this has 3 wires going to it. Very common they break off, loadsa money new, find a second hand good one if you can't find a wiring fault elsewhere, again check at ecu plug if seems ok at the throttle pot.

green tune resistors are a job to find I popped to maplin an got a 470 ohm resistor for less than 50p I got the 2 watt one as there easier to handle i had a spare plug kicking around ard soldered it to the existing wires wrapped it in shrink wrap job done

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Today changed the water temp sensor (new) and Throttle pot (second hand un-tested). Same faults still showing although it appears tp be running and sticking over better, Used my ECUMate ti clear the faults, stopped and started the engine again. Same faults came back (14 temp sensor and 17 throttle pot).

Not sure what my next port of call should be? Suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Ok, pulled the seat out today, check the ECU connectors for corrosion and sprayed contact cleaner on both sides. Can't figure out how to get the hard plastic cover off the eco plug to get to the wires. I've also noticed that the insulation has pulled off some of them when I pulled the rubber boot back.

I noticed one of the relays weren't on their holders, so fixed that at the same time (but managed to earth one and get a spark). Now I have it turning over but no longer running. I'm off to check the fuses next to see if that blew one of them. The black rocker switch under the drivers seat - immobiliser? Should it be in the up or down position?

cheers D

From memory of our need to unscrew a collar on the ECU plug? Been a while now, am on Megasquirt :)

Check your fuses, it is likely you have blown one...

Rocker switch is non standard, sounds like someone has been fiddling... Try it both ways :)

The rocker switch is the inhibit switch for air suspension. There should be 2 silver ish coloured relays together behind the engine ecu.5 pin Bosch ones as standard, one is main ecu load relay which obviously has to be there and work to start the engine.The second is the fuel pump relay which should energise for a couple of seconds  at key on to prime the fuel rail.(And energise again when the ecu see's a pulse from the HT) This relay also has a second function which is to feed the heater circuits of the oxygen sensors. If the contacts dont feed the fuel pump it won't start,if they do that,but not the oxy sensor heaters it will run very rich. I saw this many years ago on a Morgan Plus 8 where the fuel pump relay had been changed,but didnt have the fifth middle pin to power the oxygen sensors.

Thanks AllyV8. Nice to know that the rocker switch is nothing to do with the ECU. Today I pulled a plug - it's getting a spark but not looking wet. Put a jerry can full of fuel in it to make sure that the tank wasn't empty.

I've found the relays you've mentioned. I swapped the ecu (black bottom) to the fuel on (blue bottom) but when juggling them about, because they have metal cases on them, they seem to be live when clipping the body.

I found some lucas relay out of a previous scraped rangie loom that I have for butchering. I've tried them but to no avail. It cranks, sparks but doesn't fire....

I will check the relays and if necessary buy some new ones....and try again.....

• 1 month later...

Ok, after working away and building work getting in the way, finally a chance to have a look.

I've discovered a break in one of the three wires to the throttle pot on the loom side, so I've fixed that.

So now I have on one error code - coolant sensor. I no longer have throttle pot (yeh!) and it no longer reports itself to be in "limp home mode" on the eco diagnostics.

I've replaced the coolant sensor. No joy.

Wired the coolant sensor directory into the eco by scotch clipping two new wires into the wires into the ECU about 4 inches from the big eco connector block - the other end was a bit of loom from an old Freelander that had the right plug for the temp sensor.

Still same error. Bit stumped as to where to look next..........what should I look at next?

cheers

Edited by Darren Roberts

On 29/07/2017 at 6:53 PM, Ally V8 said:

Make sure the fuel temp and water temp plugs have not been swopped,seen this done several times...

Actually it was the injector connector on the right hand bank nearest the front and the temp sensor. Can't believe it ran like that or that the temp sensor and injector plugs are the same!

The boots had splits it made it easier working out the colours were wrong!

Thanks for your help guys.....

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Actually it was the injector connector on the right hand bank nearest the front and the temp sensor. Can't believe it ran like that or that the temp sensor and injector plugs are the same!

The boots had splits it made it easier working out the colours were wrong!

Thanks for your help guys.....

Well that's another variation on the theme I need to remember.Glad its sorted.