Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

mad_pete

I’ll leave at the front for now I think.  I would think I could shorten the loom if I needed to move them back later. Anyone know the the leads I need ? I think Nige is still catching up from holiday I couldn’t get hold of him to see what leads he is selling. Also need a decent run cable route from behind the seat into the engine bay.

• 3 months later...

Okay I went shopping at Nige’s and I am planning to move them back over here and weld together the conversion plates from Nige. Pick up my extended air box mount I don’t use and then maybe a point on the plenum to secure. Leads wise I have do it your self in red from Nige and a questionable crimp thing from eBay for £5.

crimp thing may be a false economy but we will see.

8BD5DC95-C48F-46BF-B164-AF0F70C430ED.thumb.jpeg.b0f1543037f11211eafba8c34e1a4ba1.jpegDCC0F143-2039-4C1C-AEBD-5177777EF27E.thumb.jpeg.5a2b7b4772c66aa8319c9d0d155a9703.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they did but that would have been mainly because there is no space at the front with alternator, a/c compressor, power steering etc and they can be mounted centrally with spark lead length being the same for opposite cylinders.

On my 4.6 I have mounted the coil pacs on top of what would have been the A/C mount at the front left of the engine - they work fine but it is a long distance to reach number 8 cylinder.

garry

My current ones are at the front and lots of people run them fine. But at the back is a shorter cable run and I can set them up without disturbing my current ones. How about the discovery and Range Rover mounts don’t they bolt at the back somewhere?

HoSS mounted the coil packs on the back when he did the conversion on what's now my 110 - there's a flat plate across the back behind the inlet (from memory it may mount via two existing tapped holes on the thor inlet) with the 2 coil packs mounted to that. I'll probably be down with the car / engine at the weekend, I'll try and remember to take pics. It's all out at the moment as a 4.6 is going in :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

If you've got a Thor inlet, and are using EDIS coil packs, why not just use the factory Bosch coil packs with their pretty factory mount? They're at least as good and operate exactly the same...

Not sure if that was for me or not - it's an already complete setup that was pre-made when I got the car, we are just swapping it from one engine to another...

In general, but yes to you since you're asking about mounting EDIS coil packs. There are good factory options, that mount in the factory location, so it might be less effort and cleaner to just change the loom instead of trying to fit EDIS coils in that spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Still pondering the bracket, might need find a bracket wizard to help me with that. 

Having watched binky gives me two ideas. One can I squeeze ms3 behind my touch screen.

D3AFBBC1-192B-4893-81A5-0CB98A594823.thumb.jpeg.cc3e5f4f70e561300269e1ffa7d8340f.jpeg

164DE44B-7BD6-4BD1-AD9B-BB39C806FC0F.thumb.jpeg.4de96f00bdff46db06f4ae00a4bbf7e0.jpeg

might need a thinner touchscreen but maybe I can cut a hole in the grey plastic cover behind and steal a few more cm.

The other is could in use the lovely 

http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/product/34-pin-delphi-connector-kit/

connectors to go through the bulkhead for the wiring loom. Seem a little big but would be a nice solution if it would work.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mad_pete said:

Will this fit on the back of a 4.2 lse engine that I can then graft my VW packs to ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303070483855

I wouldn't bother with that style. If you stumble across one of the later ones which had 2 coil packs with 4 outputs each, as used on the Thor engines and later GEMS engines, they work really well with MS direct drive or EDIS.

ISTR I made my own bracket for mine that used whatever available holes/bolts I could.

I don’t want the coil packs just the bracket. I’m um ing and ah ing too much at the moment. If I get a bracket that bolts to the engine hopefully I can bolt my VW coil packs to that and move on to the next thing.

17 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

For as simple a thing as they are, I really would make the bracket rather than buy one for that money. I would be happy to take photos/measurements etc of my spare coil pack's bracket if it helps you out.

If it mounts at the back that would be great. I have a front mount one but seeing if I can get a shorter loom run. Thanks.