Series 3 gearbox

changread

Its amazing what you find in gearbox's and sump's and they run perfectly fine, it could be something that was broke in the past and repaired / replaced hence why its running ok, its a big job sometimes looking for something inside that's an easy fix without stripping the box out and down if what ever it is that's fell in isn't effecting the box

If one bit of the fork has broken off it would put more load on the bit that's left increasing the chance of that breaking.  It could also mean that the synchro hub doesn't engage squarely.

The forks can be removed and replaced with the box in-situ, just be careful not to lose the detent springs and balls when you take the lid off.

1 hour ago, rtbarton said:

Me too, but I wasn't 100% sure.  Is the reverse fork steel?  He could always test the broken bit with a magnet.

Correct.  It could also be part of a broken spacer ring from under the third gear retaining clip.

The piece is steel not brass, dug into the pile of receipts, the gearbox was replaced with one from Paddocks 5000 miles ago by a previous keeper, think Cornish rattler has a point this bit was in the sludge at the bottom of the drain plug which has a deep cup so think i'll plod on with it as its working fine. 

Paddocks would have used Britpart components, so 5000 miles is pretty good! ;)

I wouldn't be happy to leave the box alone without further investigation.  The most likely culprit is that reverse fork, and if one side has broken off, the other could at any time.  The damage to gears and bearings that could be caused by such a chunk going through them is not inconsiderable, and losing reverse gear (or not being able to get out of reverse) is not the biggest issue - if the fork fails, there is nothing to stop the idler sliding into engagement while any forward gear is selected.  At high speed, it's unlikely that the gear would do more than grind, but at low speed, it potentially engage and jam the transmission or "grenade" it.  For the effort involved in removing the top cover and selectors, and having a good look inside with a dentists mirror, I think you're taking an unnecessary chance by ignoring it.

• Like 1