Salisbury Axles (Disc / Drum differences)

Does anyone happen to know what (if any) the differences are in the casings between a disc braked and a drum braked salisbury axle?

Hypothetically, if one were to have a disc braked salisbury with a knackered diff, and a good drum braked salisbury, could all the end bits be swapped from one to t'other fairly easily with just spanners?

I have done a couple of conversions from drum to disc and the axle casings are exactly the same. The addition of discs was a very simple bolt on conversion. Involving a cast aluminium bracket for the caliper and (from memory) 4 longer bolts to retain the stub axle. Speaking of the stub axle and hubs they are different components, but yes it is a simple nuts n bolts conversion

I believe later disc axles had the caliper mount cast as part of the axle. Earlier disc axles had the caliper mount as a bolt on so at worst you'll need a pair of caliper mounts. 

Neil110 the caliper mounts are cast steel by the weight of them.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

I had a 1998 axle with removable caliper mounts, I did exactly what you are proposing, the diff had a lot of backlash and disgusting oil, I swapped the casing and diff for a much better one from a 1989 model and was a direct swap. The only thing I needed to do was to drill a 6mm hole in each damper bracket for the disc shields to bolt up to. The drum axle even had the anti roll bar mounts at that age because it came off a 110csw.

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I believe later disc axles had the caliper mount cast as part of the axle. Earlier disc axles had the caliper mount as a bolt on so at worst you'll need a pair of caliper mounts. 

Neil110 the caliper mounts are cast steel by the weight of them.

Mike

It is 18 years since I did the swap so I admit I may have forgotten a few of the details

• Like 1

i have always seen posts here about converting a rear salisbury drum axle to a discs,can someone please tell me is it possible to just use the whole rear salisbury axle with its discs from a 300tdi ??. I may have one available and my salisbury axle is leaking from the dif pinion seal anyway

I have an original 1993 200tdi defender

11 minutes ago, justustwo said:

Ok thats good to know just couldnt understand why it was never really spoken about as an option rather than converting drum axle ...thanks

Cost mainly, not so much now but disc Salisbury's used to go for £700+ whereas drum ones you could pick up for £200. Certainly that's the reason I converted the one on the ibex.

Mike

Thats good news as have a 300tdi axle of a scrapped but running vehicle and since I tried and fail to repair the leaking diff pinion seal(like a real idiot I lost count of the number of turns to get the bearing torqued up again to the same torque when i replaced and is leaking again-no other bad noises or running hot to hand touch ) and think this could be a better option than trying to refurbish the dif?

I think the bulk of the axle is the same, but the disc braked version has shorter stub axles, narrow hubs and the corresponding thin flanges and shorter shafts.  

Ian, the TD5 was fitted with the Salisbury for the first few years, and then swapped to the 4-pin short nosed Rover diff.aka "Wolf axle", as used on the TDCI 110s.  I think the swap was around 2002 (along with the dash, doors and a few other bits).