ajh

Sliding transmission mounts..

ajh    4

I am working on a RallyRAID type build and was wondering if anyone knows of any work done to make transmission / clutch service easier. What I was thinking was mounting the transmission and transfer case similar to how the 300tdi does it, but then build a mount that allows you to remove the lower bolts and then using a screw mechanism separate the transmission from the engine while keeping things aligned. I am thinking short-bellhousing R380 to gain the needed space while still allowing the engine to be mounted enough rear of the stock location to allow the front winch to be flush with a flat front bumper. Basically to allow quick clutch and component swaps when needed, and also provide a flat platform for removing the whole unit when needed more safely and quickly.

Any other quick service ideas would be great. I am already looking at putting the panels on using flush dzeus fasteners.

Do you have enough space behind the boxes to move them enough to get a clutch in and out?

ajh    4

Yep, totally. I am able to do it in a Defender too just by removing the tops of the shifter housing and using long bolts so within the space a Tomcat cage gives me it should not even require tilting things down and since I will already need custom props I could even look at putting in enough spline to allow it to be done with both in-situ which would be really cool. This particular build is my new DD, but the experimental stuff is hopefully going to make it into a Dakar Desert Warrior build in a couple years.

FridgeFreezer    346

Seems a lot of hassle (& extra weight / complexity) for something you really shouldn't be breaking very often - as long as you can get to stuff in-situ and, for example, use a strap around the cage to lift/support the box that would likely be good enough in a pinch.

Keep it simple!

On 03/08/2017 at 1:52 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Keep it simple!

This. It seems like a lot of extra complication for something that I can't see you needing to get at that often? I'd have thought just making sure access to everything would be of bigger benefit.

Snagger    187

I can see the benefit, but it does seem more effort than its worth to devise and fit, and dirt and corrosion are likely to make it difficult to slide   I think an easier solution would be a wheeled bogey that you sit on top of the chassis when needed and drop chains or straps to cradle the transmission, if the top of the chassis is flat in the required location.

muddy    27

Or a centre bar in the internal cage you can put a small block and tackle round? Then the only extra weight when competing is perhaps three carefully placed lifting eyes or tapped bosses on the casings to lift each individual box square or the pair?

will.

Blanco    8

I love the idea in principle. Just developing muddy's 2p worth, that centre bar could have the lifting arrangement on rollers (I have a roller carriage that goes on an rsj, must be possible to do something with radiused rollers for a tube) then the length of the bar (if it aligns vertically) would give the slide required.