turbo boost actuator

Hi all I've got a 200tdi 110 11L engine and I think my actuator on the turbo is on its way out, I've adjusted it for extra boost and its virtually got no thread showing on the rod and still not got 1bar and  if I put a pair of mole grips on the end of the rod I can push the waste gate open with my thumb and its not much of a struggle. So I thought I'd replace the actuator found the part number STC960 but only places I can find them for sale is Britcar and LR Direct at over £200 a pop :o ouch . So does anyone know were I can get one cheaper or know if one of another turbo like a 300tdi will fit as I can find loads for a 300tdi on ebay. Thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone can help before I start sending emails to every turbo rebuilders in the uk when most proberbly won't even bother replying .

cheers Ian

300tdi parts book doesn't even list the wastegate actuator as a seperate part, 

RTC6543 is for the older 2.5 TD engine, it fits the same way as the 200tdi defender spec version. might be possible to use one of these instead.

this one is for a 300tdi, it might fit/work, the seller maybe able to supply the exact item to match your existing actuator, got to be worth a email or phonecall http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wastegate-Actuator-For-Land-Rover-Defender-Discovery-Range-Rover-2-5-TDI-/112209435420?epid=725185190&hash=item1a20341b1c:g:LYgAAOSwiONYMEvI

some info in this thread from 2010 might help a definite diagnosis 

Cheers western that's the one on ebay I'd looked at £32 sounds a lot better than £200 and it looks the same in the photo , just had a quick read of the thread seems to imply that when connected it should be quite stiff which is what I thought from reading other threads about adjusting it for extra boost I can open mine with my thumb with mole grips will drop them an email and see if they can help.

Noone will supply one. Been here myself. Im running one from a 19j turbo on my 200tdi turbo and it works just fine. The spring preload is slightly different i think but you wont notice the difference as long as it opens and releases the excess pressure. 

• Like 1

I managed to get a secondhand one on ebay for £15 I think. I emailed everyone that supplied turbos about it, but no-one could (maybe would is a better word) supply a 200tdi part (even though many companies will put new ones onto their reconditioned turbos. 

There are aftermarket options, but I wasn't sure of the way to match up the spring pre-loads etc, so I went for the 19J version as its quite similar in application. Seems to have worked well.

That is insane prices... so I wondered, what is the actual turbo model? 

A quick search got me to Garret TB02, then another quick search for 'Garret TB02 actuator' gives me loads of hits, and part from around the £60 mark.

Perhaps if you start your enquiries with 'I have a Garret TB02 turbo, with a dead actuator, can you help me?' It may well be that the parts are much more generic than most LR places are telling you.

e.g. https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webshop/cat_913296-Mechanical-Actuators.html

7 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

Well both have replyed and both can't help, so back to the drawing board.

This is what I found when mine went. I emailed/rang round loads of places. Some just wanted to sell me a new turbo. The frustrating thing is that the damn things must be available as new/recon turbos come with new actuators, but I couldn't find a source!!

Nice one monkie unfortunately they haven't any in stock neither has there supplier but the very kind gent supplied me with the part no for said actuator a quick search through up a few in Europe as they were priced in euros at 69euros  , so just in case anyone else has the same problem the garret  part number for the actuator for a 200tdi 11L engine is 430819-0095. And he did say that normally they would only supply complete turbos for land rovers.

cheers Ian 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Stupidly, I didnt buy one of these actuators when they were in stock. Now everywhere seems to be completely out of stock.

Does anyone know where we can find the specs for them? Presume a spring rating and some idea of movement required should enable us to buy one of the more generic ones that roughly fits the bill. My 19J TD actuator seems ok, but i cant help but think i should have something I know for sure is more suited to the turbo in there.

There's nothing special about the turbo on a tdi, so have a look for something generic that looks "about right" for physical fit. Anything for a T2 / T25 ought to be promising. You're inside the "normal" pressure range for a small turbo, so spring rating isn't biggest deal - you'll need to adjust it in for desired pressure anyway. However, beware that there are aftermarket actuators that are designed to have a soft spring and the pressure adjusted via a bleed valve, though these will mostly be sold as "tuning" parts. 

I have a feeling the oem actuator is spot welded to the mounting bracket, but drilling the spot welds out and opening up the holes ought to allow fitting something like this, which looks promising:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112205240454

23 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I managed to get a new one from Spain in the end Richard if you put the part number from the earlier post in google it should come up with the company , worked out to about £100 I think .

Hi Ian. I can’t find it. Any chance of a link?