turbo boost actuator

23 hours ago, lo-fi said:

There's nothing special about the turbo on a tdi, so have a look for something generic that looks "about right" for physical fit. Anything for a T2 / T25 ought to be promising. You're inside the "normal" pressure range for a small turbo, so spring rating isn't biggest deal - you'll need to adjust it in for desired pressure anyway. However, beware that there are aftermarket actuators that are designed to have a soft spring and the pressure adjusted via a bleed valve, though these will mostly be sold as "tuning" parts. 

I have a feeling the oem actuator is spot welded to the mounting bracket, but drilling the spot welds out and opening up the holes ought to allow fitting something like this, which looks promising:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112205240454

I have a spare for my td5 turbo. Would that work do you think?

33 minutes ago, Red90 said:

There is actually no way to get more than 18 psi out of a 200TDI turbo.  You can happily lock the wastegate closed for the rest of time.  They just don't make much boost.  A 300TDI turbo is a bit bigger and you can dial up more boost.

Mine will hit 1.3 bar = 18psi in its current tune so does that mean I don’t need an actuator? This is measured at the turbo. I have seen slightly higher but wound it back a bit. Just to add - this is only when pushing very hard, not under normal driving conditions. 

5 hours ago, reb78 said:

have a spare for my td5 turbo. Would that work do you think?

If you can make it fit, that'll probably do fine. They're a similar sort of size with a similar throw to the arm iirc. Whichever way you go, you can test how and when it opens with a bicycle pump and some washer hose, which you might find handy setting up. I have a nice little Sykes vacuum/pressure tester which always gets used for setting up or testing wastegates, but any small pump with gauge with do. 

11 hours ago, Red90 said:

There is actually no way to get more than 18 psi out of a 200TDI turbo.  You can happily lock the wastegate closed for the rest of time.  They just don't make much boost.  A 300TDI turbo is a bit bigger and you can dial up more boost.

i think the boost gauge on my old 200tdi would suggest otherwise,

i have seen these

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-Categories/Universal-Fit-Internal-Wastegate-Actuators/IWG75-Universal-150mm-rod-14-PSI-Black.html

fitted to some td5 turbos,
or even a forge actuator as a direct replacement for a td5 actuator

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Adjustable_Actuator_for_Defender_or_Discovery_TD5--product--1033.html

id be confident that you could make one of those to fit

Mine is setup so it will run at 1bar with the overdrive engaged at 70-75. I did this so it wasn't sluggish at this speed. As a result though, max boost is higher - set to 1.3 bar as above, but this is say changing down to fourth plus OD or 5th on a hill to overtake at 75. It works well and has run like this for many years now. Had to remove the head late last year to do the HG, and there was a small crack between the valves on cylinder 3, but I understand a lot of them crack here, so dont think the damage is due to my fuelling/boost. (I put a spare head back on).

I keep meaning to fit an EGT gauge (have it all but never get round to installing it), but my head was in remarkably good condition (accepting the small crack between the valves) when I took it off in December, so i dont think i have overdone anything.

5 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

i think the boost gauge on my old 200tdi would suggest otherwise,

In order to get over 18 psi, you need to have unsafe levels of fuelling.  18 psi is all you will get with fuelling limited to the maximum safe EGT levels.

mines been sat at 1.3 bar at the manifold for the last few years no worries, fuel wound up to match. sould check the egt's but it hasnt gone bang yet so cant be too bad.  :blush::lol:

my old 300 disco on the other hand, only had 20psi gauge and it us go off the scale, they love the boost :lol: