Programmable solid state power distribution modules

8 hours ago, Tobias said:

seems the m.unit.blue is pre-programmed but the motobrain is more configurable. Or am I missing something?

T

The motogadget seems to have gone a stage further and built in functionality like a flasher relay with auto kill, brake modulator, alarm logic, etc., but it is still programmable. You can configure things whether an input is push button or switched, positive or take to ground, combining the aux circuits etc.  

The motobrain it seems, is fully configurable on any input and output, and has many triggers that you can combine to give you quite sophisticated logic. For example, you could fit a light or temp sensor to an input and based on voltage levels trigger single or multiple outputs. You can also link several motobrains together in their app.

Obviously, both have been designed for bikes, so don't have as many outputs or overall capacity needed for a car. So you'd have to use multiple units and where the load is high switch a relay instead of the device. However, they could be useful when used for adding accessories or for wiring the main circuits of an off-road only truck.

Cheers, Steve 

2 hours ago, retropower said:

We use programmable pdm's a bit on customer project vehicles, but not the ones you mention. We are using Life Racing stuff at the moment, not dissimilar to Motec

I'd left out Motec and Life Racing, just purely down to cost. Spending £3-4,000 for a typical set up was out of my budget. :) 

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RangeyRover said:

Always thought that an arduino based solution would come for car wiring. Closest I can find is the controllino https://shop.controllino.biz/controllino-mega.html

Which might serve if on a budget. 

With a bit of work you could build an Arduino one yourself for not a lot of money. I built a controller for my camper van with a tft touch screen display and I think total cost worked out around £80 in modules, connectors and wiring. Using MOSFETs to control the lights so they were dimmable and relays to control switched functions such as battery charge control and towing electrics. The only complexity with using MOSFETs on a car is that they work better on their own when switching the earth side rather than the supply. You can get around that though with a simple driver and a more expensive MOSFET but for my uses I'm happy to switch the earth on those circuits.

My controller switches 6 lighting circuits via MOSFETs and 4 relays, has WiFi connectivity for use with a phone app, touchscreen TFT display mounted in the van as an alternative to the phone app, has GPS and an SMS text interface so I can send texts to, for example, turn the heater on when I'm walking back from the pub. It also doubles as an additional security device, allowing it to send me a text if the van moves while I'm out.

Like all these things though you pay more for an off the shelf unit where it just works and you accept the limitations that the designer has built in or you build something yourself and go through the pain of development but at the end of it have something that meets your specific requirements. The main reason I built my own was that the off the shelf ones were very expensive and didn't do everything I wanted it to do.

It's a solution for someone wiring a vehicle from scratch or someone who wants to rewire and get rid of the majority of the relays/fuses to tidy things up a bit.

Essentially it's a small computer that has a series of inputs, from switches for example, and a series of outputs that can be turned on/off according to the inputs. So, instead of having a switch on the dashboard that controls a relay or switches a light directly, the switch on the dashboard sends a signal to this unit and it switches on/off the programmed outputs accordingly. Some of them have current sensors on each circuit and will automatically turn it off if too much current is drawn (like a fuse). Some have an app that allows you to remotely turn on/off the power to different circuits.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

This is interesting , what progress have you made Arjan ? Have you found a suitable module ? The controllino/mega looks promising .

cheers Ian

No good for me with only 30A max, and I suspect limiting for most people in automotive use. 

I think I may get a motogadget to see what it can do. I have to relocate a bunch of relays in the LHD to RHD conversion in the two door, and may opt for completely re-wiring instead of putting in the donor loom. Using a motor gadget would free up ten or so relays and add some interesting security features. 

cheers, Steve 

We looked into it and decided to go, for the moment, on loose relays etc. but we have been offered a PCB to play with and see how useful they could be..

But I think it is a very interesting option and a very efficient solutions to a few problems..

18 hours ago, SteveG said:

No good for me with only 30A max, and I suspect limiting for most people in automotive use.

Didn't realise that Steve , no good if its that low . Did see from your first post that the motobrain option are developing two more advanced versions , Pro and Elite might be worth waiting to see what they're like .

It should be suitable for most people unless you are using some crazy old school light.  Even then, you could add external relays for any really high loads such as halogen headlamps.  40 Amp input with fusing and relay functions built in.  You can see the output limits in the drawing attached, which are fine, IMO.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Red90

I like these !  Particularly the smartphone integration.

Excuse my ignorance - but how would you wire a remote control switched circuit to work in parallel with a physical switch?

It probably won’t Ben long before eBay is awash with Chinese versions?