CJ1

1.8 Petrol Running Lumpy Help please?

CJ1    17

Hi, I am hopefully buying a 3dr Freelander 1.8 petrol. I know what a lot of people say, but this will be my 4th. Loved them all including my Range Rovers and Discovery's.  Anyway, it is petrol, really low mileage, less than a year ago it has had the uprated head gasket and uprated parts fitted professionally, it is now idling lumpy which can according to the seller be felt at low speeds.  No oil or coolant loss, no blue smoke. The coil packs have been replaced, new spark plugs fitted.  What else could it be please?  I am taking a bit of a chance on this one, hoping it isn't going to be a swing and a miss lol Cheers.  (2001 X Reg)

PatM    1

Is it oscillating? Doe the revs go up slight lightly and back down on tick-over? When my MGTF did this (same engine- K-series) it was the pre-cat lamda sensor.

Also, an air leak after the throttle-body can cause the ECU to attempt to adjust a lean mixture.

The MGTF Crew have loads on K-series engine- google MG FORUMS and go to MG-TF and start browsing. 

Bowie69    382

Also HT leads, at this age anything can happen.

CJ1    17

I bought the car. The misfire really is minute.  I plugged diagnostics in, it came up with misfire due to low fuel, (Needle was very low!) And misfire on cylinder 2 detected.

Spark plugs, ht leads, coil packs replaced, and removed and made no difference.