Hi guys Its new tyres time so wheels need refurbishing or new ones ok...

110 1990 ....Drums behind , discs up front

At the moment I'm fitted with Tornado's without caps

Is there any other alli wheels that will fit with or with out caps ??

I seam to remember years ago some one making a Boost copy that would fit but cant remember there name.

598d3bcd637bf_MyTornados.thumb.JPG.303bef0c8072c38f1002ef91878935c0.JPG

Correct Mike, LR's own Boost alloys, the 5spoke Dual finish & the latest Blindo & LR Sawtooth are the only alloys rated for 110's, 

those Tornado's are Disco/RRclassic only, not rated for 110 use & were never a factory option, OK for fit to 90 vehicles -- found this Personalise your vehicle with a selection of alloy wheels featuring a range of styles and designs. For 90. From VIN TA998910. from http://gear.landrover.com/gl/en/defender/wheels-wheel-accessories/wheels/anr5307mnh-alloy-wheel-16-tornado/

They were only ever fitted to 110 with rear disc brakes & the later thin drive members [as on 300tdi onwards] the thick earlier drive members might fould on the inside of the wheel, only way to know for sure is to try a boost wheel & see if it fits with no problem, I suspect your rear drum brakes will prevent it though.

I may be wrong as I've never played with alloys but I don't think there are any factory ones with centre caps that will fit the earlier hubs and still allow the cap to be fitted. Boost alloys may fit the hubs okay (or the drive member bolts may foul on the back - I've seen conflicting evidence), but the hubcap will still protrude through the middle.

Wheel spacers are one 'solution', converting to later hubs etc. is another - though the latter is quite involved and would require a disc brake conversion on the back and then new stub axles/hubs etc. as well as different CVs/shafts on the front.

Aftermarket alloy wheels with no centre cap such as those tubular type ones which the challenge boys use to use could be another option.

I just remember I had a Boost wheel in the shed got it out tried it on the front .....goes on the front but no way a cop on

Just found this on a listing for 4 new genuine Land rover Boosts ....so would SEAM they will fit ok but no caps again

" They will fit all Land Rover Defenders (if you are fitting to pre 1993 Vehicle you will need to remove the centre cap or fit wheel spacers. "

May just stick with and get my Tornados refurbished there been fine for 15 year no probs,....(as I do prefer the look of the Tornado)

I also found a posting on free styles and Tornado's being the same wheel different name  earlier

I can confirm 100% Free styles and Tornados ARE different......Having brought a spare wheel for mine when I first got it and buying a free style wheel......they look the same UNTIL you put them next to each other and find the rim bit where the numbers are stamped is different .

Some one could make a BOMB if they made centre caps that came out a little to fit

DSCF9819.thumb.JPG.bed05c24d5d29decdfa092feb8149056.JPG

DSCF9811.thumb.JPG.b5173d81b6440ad6d5d92e4badc4e1e8.JPG

Edited by sighnbox

I don't know if the Tornado rating is the same as the Freestyle, but as already mentioned above, the Freestyly is not rated for the 110.  That makes their fitment illegal and the vehicle unroadworthy.  It won't matter i court that they haven't broken in 15 years; it's the law.  Have an accident and you'll be in a world or trouble, especially if anyone is hurt.

As far as I know, the only alloys sold by LR rated for 110 are Boost and Sawtooth.  Blindo are certainly up to the job, but I'm not sure if they are available through LR.

The centre cap is not the only problem in fitting alloys to older (pre-300Tdi) axles; the depth of the hub and drive flange holds the back of the wheel off the mounting flange.  The wheel contact with the hub is actually the webs between bolt holes fouling the bevelled sections of the drive flange between the points of the star.  It may vary from wheel type to type, but I found that they were held off the hub nave by 3mm.  That means that the wheel is insecure and that the hub is pressing the hub apart.  That is a very dangerous situation, with enormous forces trying to destroy the wheel.  It may be that your wheels sit correctly against the hub nave and clear the drive flange, but you need to confirm that they do so without any impingement on the drive flange as a matter of urgency - simply looking for a gap between the back of the wheel and hub nave isn't enough, as the wheel nuts may have distorted the wheel pulling it tight.

Looks like I need some wheel spacers then DAM any one know of a make that is 20mm as all I can find is 30mm and want to keep it less as poss ???

Ok been looking and I know nothing about spacers seams to be THREE  types with and without locating ring and locating ring with cut outs  ?? any recommendations

598daa0b6054c_WithLocatingring2.jpg.daf95956a888b6b0c9d59091fee386db.jpg

598daa0df0de3_Withlocatingring.thumb.jpg.3a82307f1dfd2dc7e0768aad3824780e.jpg

598daa106da2d_WithoutLocatingring.thumb.jpg.243bc54d16acdefdcd870464938b92a2.jpg

Edited by sighnbox