Clutch/transmission judder

jordan_meakin

I get a bit of judder coming through the transmission usually when moving off or reversing. I know this can be characteristic of all sorts of things. Some may know from another recent post that I have just refurbed the handbrake, prop with UJ's and rear diff so should be working well. During this process, I noticed that when the rear prop was off, I moved it using just the front wheel drive and it didn't judder at all but when reassembled with new parts, continued to do as before. Does that help to minimise the possible number of causes?

It sounds like a seizing rear brake Iif it was hand brake related, it'd have occurred driving with only the front axles connected too).  You need to strip and clean out the rear brakes, and most likely replace the shoes.

I always thought clutch judder was caused by the clutch plate now being centered properly, years ago I used to set it by eye and sometimes got clutch judder and since then I just wrapped some tape round a deep 5/8ths socket to center it and never had a problem since

Edited by Cornish Rattler

If it's judder on take up of drive then it's most likely oil on the clutch plates or possibly a distorted driven plate . If the judder occurs once the clutch is engaged then more likely engine/gearbox mounts and/or rough low speed engine running .

cheers

Steve b

Is the flywheel wading plug hole clear ? , you could always pop the gearlever off and squirt copious amounts of brake cleaner onto clutch through the hole under the front of the gearlever mount . Holding the clutch pedal down would help to get cleaner onto the friction surfaces . A series clutch should last for many years with a std. engine .

If it hasn't changed in the time you have had it , then it's probably not a big problem ?

cheers

Steve b

I'm working off the information that you only experience the problem when driving through the rear axles, but have smooth drive through the front axle with the rear prop removed.  That would suggest there is no problem with the clutch or main transmission, and that the problem lies aft of the hand brake.

My previous suggestion of rear brakes doesn't fit because they are present regardless of drive.  It would appear to be something to do with the rear diff, rear prop, rear shafts or, possibly the rear wheel bearings reacting to the torque from the half shafts and skewing, resulting in partial seizure.

You need to methodically check all of those components for any wear, distortion, play or binding.