x defend pedal lock not fitting

Fitting my pedal box and 5 goes at getting the lock assembly just right it's test fit time.  Bonnet release in the way, chop that off but now my brake pedal seems a tad too far forward.

It's a replacement bulkhead and auto conversion. 

The box seems to sit forward.

IMG_3471.JPG.cd9f28368c7e8f9204d94fb9da569a47.JPG

But is up against the pedal. (inside view)

IMG_3472.JPG.9d45fbabc9b495459d63531b702e6785.JPG

but then doesn't lay back flat.

IMG_3473.JPG.660f0b7513bb4f93bb87df0634534dbc.JPG

Pedal view IMG_3474.JPG.8b5956f738de7f52f86fd03575f60719.JPG

Am I missing something super simple or is my land rover extra special as it so often is :-) 

When it's closed does it actually push on the brake pedal or just touch it?

Mine has a slight gap (~10mm) when closed between it and bulkhead, but I couldn't get it any closer as I am actually applying the brakes when I close it. Mine does fold back ok though. 

Mine is positioned so that when the main plate is flat on the floor, the up-stand bit with the lock is resting against the seat box, which has carpet so pushing its position on the floor slightly forward maybe.

In this position when lifted up, the main plate touches the brake pedal and as it is pushed further to engage the cam lock, it pushes the brake pedal back slightly but not much. 

Looking at your photo, I think you are expecting the folded bit, in front of the seat box, to be flat too. It should rest against it in the 90 degree position

Edited by Peaklander
Viewed OP's photo properly

Mine presses the brake pedal maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch when closed and its never caused me any problems.

I have carpet tile glued to the bit you stand on which makes it 1/8 inch thicker but stops me breaking my neck when getting in and out.

I have Exmoor trim carpet on the seat box pushing the pedal lock a bit further forward when closed. (edit) open, i.e. not locked.. so you can drive it ;-)

HTH

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Mine is positioned so that when the main plate is flat on the floor, the up-stand bit with the lock is resting against the seat box, which has carpet so pushing its position on the floor slightly forward maybe.

In this position when lifted up, the main plate touches the brake pedal and as it is pushed further to engage the cam lock, it pushes the brake pedal back slightly but not much. 

Looking at your photo, I think you are expecting the folded bit, in front of the seat box, to be flat too. It should rest against it in the 90 degree position

I know the photo isn't great but it's not bolted in yet. The back plate is catching on the seat box. The other plate looks the way it does because I'm holding it only. If you just line it up on the back plate and push the brake pedal as required maybe mine is fine and I just need to push harder.  

I fitted one of these last week.

When locked it does push the brake pedal just enough to start applying the brakes.

When it's laid on the floor the hinged lock part is pretty much flat against the seat box.

It all seems to work very well. But l did have trouble getting the lock mechanism to work, l had to leave the spacer washer out from the ratchet mechanism otherwise it was too stiff.

lt needed to be installed as far over to the left as possible, to centralize the lock on the brake pedal. I had to cut away a couple of mm from the edge of the transmission tunnel to allow the lock to sit flat on the floor.

Also l used Nyloc nuts instead of the shear nuts, in case l ever need to remove it. There's no way on earth you could remove any more than the outermost bolt with it in the locked position.

All told the unit fitted very well indeed.

Thanks, I wasn't expecting it to push on the brake pedal also I wasn't expecting to get my hand behind it from the right.  Though the upgrade panel makes sense if you can. I think most pictures give the impression it fills the gap perhaps a bit more than it actually does. Pushing on the brake pedal is probably handy. As mine is an auto I'm wondering if you could lash up a hand throttle through the gap and use the whole pedal box as a giant brake pedal driving through the brakes as required but hopefully the big chunk of metal will put them of bothering.

i was planning to go with nylocs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So it does fit a lot better once you have a bolt in. With the bare panel it wants to sit at a slight angle to fit between exposed bolts when it lays flat. Doesn’t seem to be a problem. I don’t think the gravity fastener with fit without a spacer. I’m thinking it will fit better with the rubber mat under and some spacers on the bolts  it but I’m wondering if that allows resipercating saw attack to the spacers and bolts.

Don't fit spacers between the unit and the floor. Fit it flat with one thin washer.

Then fit a standard rubber floor mat over the top (cut away to fit around the lock at the rear). You'll find that the mat will stay in place when you use the pedal lock.