Spacers, Wheels, Tyres etc etc

1990,110, out the factory as a TD......drum brakes behind

Ok after my post on wheels and new tyres and finding out Tornado's really should not be fitted to my 110 But boost should (weight ratting)

The next morning I managed to get a set of five genuine land rover Boost wheels .....spanky new wrapped up still in the Land Rover boxes at a real bargain price ...ok FANTASTIC great start...

Having the drum behind and the disk in front to fit these I need wheel spacers ok after some reading the best seam to be  bulldog or Terrafirma 301 hub centric things (30 mm spacers) . (not brought them yet as they do the Terrafirma 301 at the tyre place))

Ok the tyres I want and are BF Goodrich 235/85/16  AT KO2

Has any one a older Landy like me with drum brakes etc and used Terrafirma spacers with boost wheels and BFG tyres of the above size ????

If so all fit ok ??     and does the tyre stay inside the wheel arch ???   (standard arches)

Any problems with spacers ????   bearing in mind I'm 90% road use and any off road I do is just tracks in Wales or Scotland when I go climbing ....and most years do 1000-2000 miles in her...

Thanks there

Edited by sighnbox

The tyres will fit your wheels fine.

I don't particularly like spacers, however as long as you do them up properly and periodically check the nuts they don't seem to cause any problems. Not sure about them fitting within the arches, however I suspect they will. Hopefully someone can confirm.

I believe for alloys you will need ones with the hubcentric location ring on so the wheels is positioned correctly.

Could just fit a set of Wolf steel wheels and do away with the lot? ;)

my 255/85 MT KM2 on wolf steels with no spacers sit well within my arches even before I converted the rear axle to disc brakes, so you should be fine with that combination, just make sure the spacer to hub nuts are torqued up fully & maybe add a line of paint across stud/nut so you can see if there is any movement between the spacer nut & hub stud, a visual check would mean just removing each wheel say once every 3 months. 

Well that's TOTALLY put me off them that looks dam FRIGHTNING  .arrrrrrrrrrrr ....between a rock and a hard place with wheels at the mo

I presume there all coming off now Doug ????

Can not believe with how many older landys are about there's not a nice alli wheel out there ....all the thousands of land rover mod things you can buy and NO ONE does a nice wheel for older landys

The ONLY wheel I've seen that will fit mine without spacers I've found so far..... wait for it ...is the BOWLER

£££££££££££££££££   £1750 for five 18" or about £1000 for 16" OCHHHH and only grey, black or white so another £300 to get them powder coated silver two grand for some wheels

So any other wheel suggestions that would fit no spacers on my pre 94 gratefully received

Edited by sighnbox

Yes they are coming off. I have bought some -32 offset wheels to compensate for that. 

Dont take my experience as something that will happen if you use spacers but it can happen. A lot of people said to me it can happen and I just asked "who has it happens to?" No one could name names or give examples so I just put it down to one of those urban myths like v8s don't do water and portal axles make your car fall over. This is not an urban myth but it is preventable with regular checks.

On a lighter note: 

I think the terrafirma alloy wheels look really good! And As said before, wolf steel wheels are a nice looking wheel on an older Landy, ross has had some banded to make them a little wider and they look fantastic. 

There is also the challenger wheel which looks like a cheap copy of a mach5 which is available in many sizes

Slackening of the wheel nuts holding the spacers happened to me too, repeatedly.  I ended up using red thread lock.  It had been told to me as a frequent occurrence by a mechanic friend at the time.  It's something that really should be in the fitting instructions.  

I think it may be a problem with the threads of the nuts included with the spacers, so I'd also recommend using genuine LR steel wheel nuts on the spacers, not the ones provided.  The genuine nuts may need slimming to fit flush or slightly recessed from the face of the spacer - I can't remember for certain, but I think the provided nuts were a little slimmer for that reason.

Now this or this may not be interesting ......But yesterday was telling a Scaffolding friend about this and poor Dangerous Doug s Landy mishap and about the wheel spacers and how Ive gone right off them....

In scaffolding you DO NOT use dis similar metals .....as in if you use steel on alli the nuts will always slip loose ......exactly as the wheel spacers metal nuts on a alli spacer

23 minutes ago, sighnbox said:

Now this or this may not be interesting ......But yesterday was telling a Scaffolding friend about this and poor Dangerous Doug s Landy mishap and about the wheel spacers and how Ive gone right off them....

In scaffolding you DO NOT use dis similar metals .....as in if you use steel on alli the nuts will always slip loose ......exactly as the wheel spacers metal nuts on a alli spacer

The reason for that is steel tube is 50mm and the Ali tube is 51mm so the fittings do not mix, has absolutely nothing to do with dissimilar metals. 

The actual studs on the spacers are always steel so nothing wrong there. I think my problem was the previous weekend I thrashed the truck and everything bedded in a bit more. The contrast to my experience is my dad has run spacers for 10 years and has never had a problem with them.

i diddnt post the pictures to scare you, just to let you know that if you do fit them they are not nesseseraly a fit and forget solution. With the addition of loctite and regular checks they should be fine if steel wheels are off the table. 

You made my Mrs laugh anyway Doug

I told her no way am I fitting spacers now and showed her the pic to which I was told short sharp thrift  "There is probably nothing wrong with them what do you expect with a name like DANGEROUS DOUG"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sighnbox said:

You made my Mrs laugh anyway Doug

I told her no way am I fitting spacers now and showed her the pic to which I was told short sharp thrift  "There is probably nothing wrong with them what do you expect with a name like DANGEROUS DOUG"

Lol I've had to explain that name a few times lately, that name came from my lines of occupation which most consider dangerous..... nothing to do with the way I am or the way I do things. Another name I have is "doug the thug" as I have a shaved head and talk loud but the name is ment ironically.

eg.

IMG_0709.thumb.JPG.126f53ef51b4012a6868d99f32768434.JPGIMG_2871.thumb.JPG.19f9aa6c8808f015630cbdad0b1e6280.JPG

• Like 1