How strong is a P38 PAS box?

Jon White

Does anyone know how strong these are?

i currently have PAS on my series via a six bolt box, but the sector shaft keeps twisting when I meet large immovable obstructions, and I'm fed up of the steering wheel never staying straight, but more importantly am concerned that eventually the shaft may snap.

Bear in mind that this is on a series, so an upgrade to a four bolt box is a non starter.

so with that in mind a P38 box is a realistic alternative as they are easy to make fit a series.

does anyone know how strong they are? Are they stronger than a six bolt box?

thanks

jon

Not sure about P38 but D2 is what I run on the 109. I was told the D2 ones have a beefier sector shaft than the rest (and a different an unique mounting, unfortunately), although the 6-bolt is supposedly heavy duty anyway.

A mate of mine did have a sector shaft fatigue and fail - drove to his workshop having dropped the kids off, parked in the yard and 5 minutes later there's a CLANG as the drop arm just fell out onto the floor with half the sector shaft attached :o

Jon, I guess it was you I answered on a Facebook group the other day.  I put a P38 unit on my 109.  Apart from being a much neater fit on a Series chassis than the Adwest type, it's far, far stronger.  I have never read any posts about a failed or leaking one on any forum, ever.  They also have the benefit of having a very similar ratio to the Series seering box, so if you lose hydraulics, the load at the steering wheel is comparable and easily manageable, and the handling and response is almost unchanges, just a little less wander than a well maintained Series system.  It's feather light without being twitchy - my 2009 90 felt light but very twitchy, the 109 even lighter but far more stable.

I think I suggested using a LHD unit on that FB group.  Don't - I had misunderstood it as being an upgrade on a Defender.  Use a RHD unit, the lower column from the donor P38, and a Defender steering column.  It all matches up without modification; at most, you'll need to adjust the length of the lower column by simply slackening the nut on the slip joint clamp and retightening once set.

Thanks Snagger. Yes that was me you replied to.

ill use a RHD one - fitting is well documented and as you say - it's a nicer fit than my existing 6 bolt box.

defender column is already in place so I think that's the way I will go. Parts are on the shopping list for Newbury auto jumble now.

cheers

jon

I did a detailed write up with plenty of photos on my blog, five, maybe six posts in all .Some of it will be irrelevant, like fitting the Defender column or mounting the hydraulic pump, but the bits about mounting the box and making a drag link might be useful.  What axles are you using?  I think there is one potential issue that those with original axles face that those who have installed coiler axles don't, and that's the clearance between the PAS box output shaft/drop arm and the swivel housing flange where t bolts to the axle case.  That should be nothing more than a positioning and orientation exercise, though.