2.25 d brake vacuum pump

Dave-Fost

I thought it was done by a butterfly valve and choke on the induction tract ont he 10J, with a vacuum reservoir.  Pumps were fitted on the 12J and later engines (2.5l), but they fit where the fuel injection pump sits on yours.

I have a Peugeot belt driven vac pump on my S2 diesel.  The engine is fitted with double pulleys (being ex mil).  The mounting bracket is home made.  It is mounted on  the opposite side to the alternator.

The flappy butterfly valve thing that Rover fitted tended to seize up plus you need a vac tank for it and the often rust out.

Peter

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rover-defender/defender-90-and-110/parts/engine/erc9639-vacuum-pump-assy-110-2-25-lt-diesel.html

I had one on mine, but I was in the fortunate position of having a 24V alternator so I managed to fit it where the standard 12v alternator fitted. There is a bracket fitted to the 24V vehicles, both petrol and diesel, for a tensioner or idler pulley. I think I used that, but it was over 20 years ago and my memory is a bit sepia tinted.

You can see the relevant pulley in this video of a 24V engine, at approx the 5 O'Clock position behind the fan

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?43727-Land-Rover-Lightweight-2-25-Petrol-Engine

Found one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Military-series-Reconditioned-24volt-idler-pulley-549700-/221623627486?fits=Car+Make%3ALand+Rover&epid=651276341&hash=item3399cc2ede:g:clEAAOSw7ThUfajK

Edited by neil110

I find the Craddock listing interesting as it is the same as the peugeot pump that I have.  Land Rover must have discovered for themselves that the butterfly valve didnt work.

Looking  from the front of my engine the vac pump is fitted high up on the left and the alternator high up on the right on home made brackets, as said before it is an ex mil 5 bearing diesel with double pulleys, one belt drives the alternator and the other drives the vac pump.

The engine is fitted in a 58 with single line brakes and a remote in line servo.

Peter

Having had both the butterfly and the pump, I can remember the transformation of the brakes after the change over. As previously mentioned I was in the fortunate position of having an ex Dutch army 24V truck with the big alternator mounted on the top left of the engine. I have vague recollections of changing the front pulley for a 3 groove unit, 2 to drive the alternator and the 3rd to drive the water pump and vac pump. Same as British army 24V set up where there are 2 belts for the alternator and 1 for the water pump. There is n reason why a 2 groove pullet wouldn't have done the job and it had a 2 groove pulley fitted originally. I just wanted 2 to drive the alternator.

• 2 weeks later...

Per chance I have collected a belt driven vac pump as a spare.  It is from an FX4 taxi when tthey fitted LR engines.  It came with the mounting bracket. Standing at the front of the engine looking towards th bulkhead it fits on the right hand side of the engine bolting to the timing cover and the manifold.  When I get it cleaned up I will take some photos.

Peter

http://hellahd.com/index.php/default/electrics/universal-electric-vacuum-pumps/electrics-product-11/

That's the one I've found in the breakers from some Volvo (forgot the model)
The good thing is that a simple mount is sufficient (i've mounted it just above the oil-level stick. I believe that was the place for the wiper fluids bottle. But that wasn't functional on my car.

There is no connections other then to the vacuum hose and electrics to the brake pedal switch. At the moment I have my vacuum tank still in place, however if the pump is delivering enough vacuum fsat it might even work better without tank...

I simply pulled the hose from the butterfly and connected it to the electric pump. Thereafter closing of the butterfly hole with some simple stuff in order to avoid the intake of junk.

Edited by xychix