ifor williams with 76mm coupling eye

skauldy

hi folks,

just looking for opinions. Hopefully getting my brand spanking new ifor tipper soon and of course my mind is going into overdrive to secure it from theft. One of the ideas i was thinking about,  ifor offer a 76mm coupling eye for the Nato hitches. What do yous reckon. Would it be a good idea going for it or would it just be banging away while towing and drive me scathy.

Suppose it would still slip over a 50mm towing ball hitch but would also a pity as i wouldnt be able to lend it out :)

IIRC 76mm towing ring & NATO hitch aren't type approved for normal civil trailer use, but VOSA/Police seem to turn a blind eye to vehicles/trailers that have these fitted, I use both on my 110 with my motorsport recovery trailer, as I don't trust the standard ball hitch on forest tracks with a costly rally car attached to the trailer.

mine doesn't 'bang' about on the road. any noise/movement comes from the pintle slider plate moving on the adjustable hitch pin which is a D-B single pin adjustable frame.

• Like 1

If they want it - they'll take it.

Regardless of the coupling..

Good anti-theft, tracker, markings etc. help but the best investment is the insurance...

BTW - we run a 3,5 Saris 3-sided hydraulic tipper and have less issues here...

Enjoy !!

13 minutes ago, Arjan said:

If they want it - they'll take it.

was thinking that also, if they really want it theres not much i can do

. Im.not sure how much extra the coupling eye would be. I see a bradley one is 400 pounds. If it is 400 extra ill just forget about it. Spend it on a good tracker as you say 

42 minutes ago, western said:

mine doesn't 'bang' about on the road. any noise/movement comes from the pintle slider plate moving on the adjustable hitch pin which is a D-B single pin adjustable frame.

good to know about the banging coming from slider plate. if i was to do it i would.leave it in a fixed position (no slider)

thanks for replies guys. 

off to look up that 3 way tipper :D 

I always feel that having something kept out of sight as much as possible, and not so shiny to stand out is a good start for security. Of course you'll struggle with that latter concept with a brand new unit.

My mother has always adopted this principle with her horse trailer, although she seems to have no difficulty making it look thoroughly neglected :o

that was also a consideration, blinging glav is going to stand out like a sore thump. I am building a shed that I can keep the trailer in plus other bits and pieces.

Its' terrible that you can't buy something without having to consider some scumbag taking it on you.