Disco 1 windscreen washer pump

disco1dublin

Hi all,

I've got myself into a problem with my windscreen washer pump. As you can see from the photos, the connection isn't the regular run of the mill, possibly down to my disco 1 300tdi being one of the last to roll off the production line. The male connector has two prong with a metal cube attached to each prong. One of these "cubes" managed to fall out and it can't make a proper connection with the pump anymore. End result is a blown fuse with each attempt to wash the windscreen. I overcame this by swapping the tubing so that when i press rear wash button it sprays my windscreen but this has now become an issue for my MOT. Any suggestions on how i might rectify this? I've ordered a standard washer pump which takes the standard two pin connector (same as what my rear washer pump has) and was hoping to get my hands on a male connector (white) to wire up to replace my red two prong connector. Is this easily done? FYI both pumps have two wires connected, a black and a green. Thanks in advance,

Frank

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

Edited by disco1dublin

That's not actually the electrical connector, what has happened there is the pump body has broken off and remains attached to the electrical connector behind. The two metal prongs you see are actually the motor brush springs, the cubes being the actual brushes, and these make contact with the commutator you can see through the gaping hole in the body of the pump.

The big red plastic thing will unplug from the rest of the loom somehow, it may be on a small tail, or directly in the back of it, I can't see from the picture whether this is the case or not.

Once your new pump arrives it should plug straight in, once you get rid of the broken bit of pump that is attached to your loom :)

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

That's not actually the electrical connector, what has happened there is the pump body has broken off and remains attached to the electrical connector behind. The two metal prongs you see are actually the motor brush springs, the cubes being the actual brushes, and these make contact with the commutator you can see through the gaping hole in the body of the pump.

The big red plastic thing will unplug from the rest of the loom somehow, it may be on a small tail, or directly in the back of it, I can't see from the picture whether this is the case or not.

Once your new pump arrives it should plug straight in, once you get rid of the broken bit of pump that is attached to your loom :)

You were spot on! Thanks so much! It's always the simple things, should have compared the other washer to it which didn't have that gaping hole in the pump!! New pump on order should solve what turned out to be a simple fix thanks to you 👍🏻

IMG_3516.JPG