Can't drive "out" of overdrive

Berian S

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and was hoping for some insight on the above issue with my '65 Series 2A 109".  When taking off in first the Overdrive lever will not stay in the "out" position. I can move off with the Overdrive engaged but when I try to take it out of Overdrive from any gear the lever jumps out of the position.  Any advice welcome.

Sounds like there is an adjustment/fouling issue, normally a problem with the overdrive doesn't cause it to kick out.

Time to have a look underneath/pull the lever and tunnel off to make sure everything is OK.

I'd first check the circlips at the back of the overdrive main shaft, assuming we're talking about a Fairey unit.  You'll need to drain it and remove the rear cover (four bolts around a flattish cone).  you should see one circlip at the back end, and if you remove it and what looks like a thick shim behind it, but is actually hollow and a cover for a second clip, you can check that one is in place.  

If they are both present, then either the shims were set up badly behind the clips, allowing excess end float, or if it has only recently started doing it, then I'd suspect a failed thrust bearing.  You can check for either by gripping the end of the shaft and firmly pushing and pulling on it.  There should be no movement.

The other possiblity is that the fork has slipped on the selector shaft and the shaft is no longer reaching the correct position for the detent ball to engage in the groove on the shaft (there are three grooves, for engaged, neutral and disengaged).

• 2 weeks later...