Defender 200 Tdi Alternator upgrade

The 65amp alternator was a option on 200tdi, so it should be a straight swap, 

there is a 100amp alternator available that is a direct swap for the original,  the cables from Alt to Starter/Battery will need to be upgraded.

IIRC I posted the part number in here a while ago, 

The cables simply run from the back of the alternator, behind the thermostat housing and along the right hand side of the head gasket, around the back of the block and to the big battery lead post on the starter motor.  It really is a simple job to replace them, which would be a wise idea not only to ensure the wiring is rated for the higher current, but also in suitable condition; the old wiring could be cracked or corroded, not only increasing resistance but potentially causing hotspots that could melt the insulation and then cause real trouble.  For the effort and cost, it's best to be sure.

• Like 1

Just join the 2 thick brown onto the same big stud on alternator, pic below was my old 100 amp alt connections, the plain yellow is on the 'W' terminal for my rev counter signal, Brown/yellow is on WL or IND for charge light, 2 thick brown on B+ alt to battery/starter motor

IMG_1215.jpg

you don't need to change any other wiring just connect them to the alternator, the engine/main wiring is already sorted to send the alternator output to the battery, on my 100 amp alt we added a short much thicker lead from Alternator to starter motor, it works fine.

you can see the wiring from Alt & Starter to battery on the 200Tdi engine loom diagram below. HTH :i-m_so_happy:

200Tdiengineampglowplugwiring_zpsdb540521.jpg

100 amp alt on my 200tdi same as the one in the link above, but sourced through a local auto electrics supplier, a Gates or Dayco belt will do the job of driving it & water pump, Dayco & Gates belts listed for a 65 amp is a bit short when fitting to fit to a 100 amp alt, I use Gates 6222MC AVX10 x 1050La or a Dayco 10A1050C

1 hour ago, western said:

100 amp alt on my 200tdi same as the one in the link above, but sourced through a local auto electrics supplier, a Gates or Dayco belt will do the job of driving it & water pump, Dayco & Gates belts listed for a 65 amp is a bit short when fitting to fit to a 100 amp alt, I use Gates 6222MC AVX10 x 1050La or a Dayco 10A1050C

The 100a has a bigger pulley, then?  Or is it just a bigger casing moving the centreline further outboard?  Fancy one myself, sometime...

just a bit bigger casing which when the alt is moved inwards it touches the timing case engine block, 

on the  old dead 100amp alt which originally came of a 300tdi air con fitted Discovery, I fitted the original 65amp pulley to it but the standard 1025mm belt is a bit of a tight squeeze to get on the pulley on a 100 amp alt