convert Defender 2.4 TDCI to 300TDI

In theory I'm sure it would be possible and I would be interested in how you get on should you try it.

Some issues you may come across though:

• Packaging in engine bay - fairly simple to sort as most of the add-on stuff would go with the Tdci.
  • Instrument pack uses CANBUS - people have adapted round this either with some computer trickery or by mounting older gauges into the newer dash instead.
  • Wrong gearbox - I think an adaptor is available to use the MT82 or you could put an R380 in.
  • Gearsticks clash with dash (if using R380) - IIRC this can be avoided by altering them.
  • General electronics - probably best to strip the Tdci loom down to suit the Tdi.

I would suggest however that it may be simpler to just fix the issues with the current engine. Or replace the vehicle. 

Technically possible, but there are few buts in this :

- Money. Getting a replacement engine is less money than converting the vehicle

- Resale value with original engine likely to be better

- Legality. Just because the # of cylinders aren't counted when going for the APK (Dutch MOT) means the change is legal. It could be a cause for the insure to void your cover if you don't tell them. Apart from a few other minor problems..

The Tdci's aren't that bad. Perhaps the drivers needs to training..

Succes !

We have replaced several low mileage tdci engines for customers this year and have replaced several turbo's,  injectors, vcv valves etc. 
On this rental car we have replaced a turbo already this year and now it has several other problems.
It is still running however.
Everything is way more expensive on a tdci than on a 300tdi and breaks more often. I almost never have to replace a 300 turbo even at very very high mileages, injectors keep going for ever, no problems with bearings etc. Only a head gasket every other 250.000km, but that's a 3 hour job on a tdi.

If I would fit a 300tdi I would use an MT82 adapter and I would retain all wiring and even the engine ecu, without the engine. Then I would just have to fit a tdci  temp sender to the 300tdi and everything should work exempt for the rpm signal, but I don't need that.

It would be way cheaper than a replacement engine because I have several good 300tdi's lying around. I would just have to buy the mt82 adapter.

But I'm not going to do it.... Because it's a rental car it will have to be legal...