Bleeding brakes, ezibleed replacement

Gazzar

21 hours ago, ballcock said:

They look simple Although I don't understand why a vacuum system works any better than a pressure system as long as the fluid travels fast enough to carry any air with it and you don't allow any back in.

The difference is that pushing liquid through spaces doesn't necessarily push all bubbles of trapped air too but sucking liquid will also suck the air from those spaces.  

18 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

I've only ever used pressure systems, does a vacuum system make it harder to find leaks? A pressure system dribbles out but is a vacuum system more likely to suck air in than allow fluid to leak out?

Probably, but you find the leaks soon enough when you pump the brakes.

I believe that the vacuum system works better than the pressurised type because as the system is under vacuum any air bubbles will expand, aiding both separation by gravity and by the flow of fluid sweeping the bubble along.  In the pressurised system air bubbles will be smaller diameter and thus less likely to be swept along by the fluid flow.

Mike

I've recently bought a Sealey VS020 which seems to do the job, if you have a compressor.

Couple of provisos tho.

• Before you start, take the bleed nipple out and put copper grease on the threads. Miss this out and it's rubbish.
  • It doesn't come with an airline connector so I had to pinch one off another tool.
  • It gets though a surprising amount of air.

• 4 weeks later...

I've thought about this and have a cheap vacuum system myself, couldn't get it to work as it sucked air past the bleed nipple threads. Which got me thinking further, if you have a leak anywhere then vacuum will just draw air into the system, at least with pressure it pishes out. regarding flow and moving fluid, aggressive pumping usually sorts it out for me.