D4x4 diff guards and ARB156 lockers

andy2986

Hiya, I have a problem.

I have just fitted a set of D4x4 diff guards to my 300tdi Disco axles.

I also have a set of ARB lockers (the ones with the airline that goes over the ring gear)

Today when I was building up the axles ive noticed that when the diff guards are bolted into place they push on the air line and I think is making it uncomfortably close to the ring gear.

Ive just fitted a set of Niges airline holder things that I think are great ( I put a set of his super flanges on as well )

what can I do to give myself a little more room in there ?

I could ....

a/ fit ash lockers (not a realistic option as ive just had these lockers rebuilt)

b/ make a spacer between the axle casing and the guard (say 5mm)

c/ re route the airline some how.

What do you think... open to suggestions. im tending towards the spacer idea.

P1060329.JPG

P1060334.JPG

thanks for the answers so far,

At the moment the pipe isn't hitting the gear. i can spin the diff and its defiantly not catching but you can definatly 'feel' the pipe making contact with the cover when it goes on.

I could relieve some of the inside of the cover with a die grinder (good idea using blue tack !) but obviously taking to much off would weaken the cover, guess a little wouldn't hurt.

Ive had a look on google and there are some pictures of the pipe run a different way but to put in a new pipe and ring thing would be a real pain and I would probably have to send it back to nige to have done if im honest. 

Question !  

How much, if at all, does the ring gear move ?  the diffs are not pegged and the truck isn't a challenge truck so will mostly be driven with a little mechanical sympathy (honestly !)

can anyone recommend a cnc or laser cutters who can do small orders ? I found a place near me but they wanted £100 minimum order.

Just wanted to sound out the spacer thing thinking maybe 4/5 mm steel spacer type thing.

Maybe a combination of die grinder and spacer might be the way forward......

Yes spoke to them about it when I first realised I had a problem. They say they haven't come across this problem before. 

They were going to talk to there fabricators about some spacer rings but I haven't heard anything fro them yet. 

Just thought I would see if anyone else had a similar problem. 

PS

The other routing was to cut a big groove down the sides of the carrier end cap, just where the bolt goes through. Seriously bad Idea as it severely weakes the carrier cap, and have seen more than a few of these blow up due to the weakening, my advice is do not do this bodge !

N

Looking at the photos, I'd expect that the contact is happening at the kink central to the diff aperture, just to the right of the crown wheel.  I suspect that if you can sharpen the two bends so that the kinked section runs parallel tot he ring teeth, that you'll stop the problem

im a little worried about trying to re route the pipe incase i break it !

Im working away at the mo but will try snaggers idea and also have a little  go with a die grinder,

Snagger is correct though its touching the case to the right of the crown wheel.

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I've got a friendly laser place if you want a spacer knocking up? I've got the D44 guards too so able to draw it up as well, I'm just busy for the next couple of weeks or so.

That would be fantastic if you could. cheers

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think if you remove the right hand side pipe bracket and drill new holes for the P-clip bolts further inboard, you'll be able to adjust the path of the copper pipe quite nicely at the kink.

I will have a look when i get back next week, cheers

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

On a different note, have you been over the face of the mounting flange with a flap disk or something? it doesn't look very flat? :unsure: Could just be the light! 

Ummmm, sort of !! I had the axles media blasted before i welded on the rings i then resprayed them with RCP and CIO from Buzzweld but my masking sucked and I got paint on the surfaces so sanded them clean with an old flap wheel. but it is smooth just a weird light thing...

• 2 weeks later...

ESP Laser will do small orders, they take cards and will post out. If your having parts lasered you might as well get a dozen done, if you've had the problem maybe someone else has and if you could sell them you'd get your set for free...

Packing it out will mean that you hit rocks etc sooner, would this be a problem or not?

What shape is the D44 guard inside, does it closely follow the gear? maybe there is more clearance at a different point?

• 4 months later...

So, dragging this thread back from the depths, these arrived today. ( thank you Ross)

would love to rush to the workshop and fit them but I’m only home for a couple of hours before I’m off again. 

Will fit them hopefully week after next. 

And be a little bit closer to getting my landrover back on the road !!

CDB85099-58B9-4330-B8A3-5B1227C2019D.jpeg

F44473DC-B35B-489F-9518-291BCE4B3166.jpeg