Importing a landy from Northern Ireland

landrover598

Any one done it? Anything i should be aware of? Is Irish road tax and MOT recognised over here? 

The vehicle i'm looking at already has a UK registration plate so that's one less concern.

It would be driven back so obviously it would need to be fully UK road legal as soon as the ferry docks.

The NI MOT system isn't linked to the UK (or wasn't a few years back) so, although it is valid in the UK, it probably wont show online, not sure how this will affect you taxing it since that is online now too and doesn't transfer with the vehicle to the new owner. Best to check the reg on the DVLA site, they may have linked up with NI since the tax changes......

Mudmonkey is entirely correct with regards to the NI MOT.

I'm on an extended trip to Republic of Ireland with a UK registered LR at the moment and my MOT expires whilst here (but not for a few months). I spoke to a few test centres then the DVLA and whilst I can drive over the border to NI for an MOT (which is legitimate in UK) it will not show up on UK ANPR cameras once back home. The advice was to MOT it in NI then again once back in UK.

Edited by Boris113

Hi David, I relocated from NI to Manchester in October 2016 with 2 vehicles and it was simple.  No need for MOT.  I contacted DVLA who advised me to send in my V5C with change of address.  After a short while I received new V5C and new registration number.  I then contacted Insurance company. 

Hope this helps.

Ivan.  

I imported a 109 from NI to GB (admittedly, it had been previously been registered in GB) It was fairly painless, I had the choice of keeping the NI number or the GB number, a quick trip to the DVLA office sorted it all out.  There was no hassle over MOT and insurance or anything, which was great as the 109 wasn't exactly road legal, as it was missing a few key components.

Now they've closed all the DVLA centres it might be harder....