Puma with cold start issues

Naks

Hi chaps,

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight with an issue I have been having on the Puma since winter started.

On cold starts, the vehicle is spouting massive clouds of white smoke (looks like the exhaust is vaping), and the idle shakes the entire vehicle - almost like the engine mounts are gone.

As soon as the engine is a bit warm, then the symptoms disappear. There is also no loss of power or anything weird with the power delivery.

The common cure is to change the VCV valve, which I did, and I also did the pump re-learn + pilot correction.

But the problem persists, and I'm leaning towards a fuel rail temperature issue. Can anyone tell me whether the fuel rail temperature shown in this screenshot is normal at 10C ambient?

Screenshot_20170829-080936.png

I'm running a tank with Wurth diesel purifier in case the injectors are clogged, but that is not the case so far.

Or if anyone else has any suggestions?

Appreciate any help, thanks

I read an article about the Mudstuff owner having starting problems with his TDCI with the -30oC temperatures on his Canadian ice road trip, the engine preheater warming the engine enough to shut down the heater plugs but not enough for a warm start.  You might be having a less severe case of a similar issue.

Gents, thanks for the suggestions.

not sure how I missed this symptom: if I open the throttle and keep it constant, the revs drop to idle and then slowly try to climb back.

the revs drop faster when the engine is cold than when warm, but it happens in either situation.

does this make the diagnosis any clearer?

thanks

That sounds like fuel starvation or an ECU and associated systems problem.  I'd disconnect the battery and then open each plug in the engine control system to spray the contacts with electronics cleaner and WD40 before refitting them, and replace the fuel filter and drain out the sedimenter.