Should I buy it?? ๐Ÿ˜…

Needsone

I would say for a first series vehicle, 13k is a lot - you might hate it and I very much doubt you will sell it on easily at that price. If you're new to the mark, look for a series 3. 80's models have the best of everything but are not the prettiest. If you're patient, you could find one with a galvanised chassis which will solve a whole load of headaches come MOT time. 2.25 petrols are a good beginners engine - easy to service and pretty basic. The diesels are quite reliable but harder to repair and need more regular complicated servicing and to be fair, return very little more mpg. Later models come with stronger axles, better brakes and slightly improved interiors. Some would say that the gearboxes aren't as strong but they certainly drive better. If you can find one with overdrive, that's also a bonus.

Decide what you want it to do. Is it for off roading, is it for tinkering, is it for polishing, is it for carrying things, is it for carrying people? That'll help you narrow down the search.

Looks to be a nice motor, seller seems to have enough dosh to throw at it to make it good,

ย 

BUT

He expects to get back what he put in to it which is NOT how you value a vehicle! Just because he paid a fortune to a garage to put a V8 in does NOT make it worth that much.

Don't get me wrong I love V8 Series motors but it would be worth more as a restoration if it had the original engine which he took out!

Guys, thanks for the really useful replays. Being honest it feels very expensive. There are so many series 2 / 2a / 3 around that it is tricky to narrow down which ones are a fair price or too expensive or a money pot! Is 5k generally going to get you something acceptable??

ย 

It does look very, very nice, with reasonable attention to detail, it is no concourse vehicle obviously, but about as usable as a Series can get these days.

Exhausts looks a little small/low to the ground, vulnerable... I would look at improving that for sure even if you only go in a slightly rutted lane occasionally, otherwise the conversion seems to be done reasonably well, without being able to get underneath it of course.

Is it worth 13K? Hmmm at the end of the day it is just a pick up/soft top, the cheapest of the lot, my estimate would be sub-10K to be honest.

Biggest question is what is it worth to you?

After all that work they haven't even thrown a bit of satin black on the gearsticks!ย :o

It looks a nice truck but, at the end of the day, Series 3s are still relatively cheap and to me the restoration work isn't worth the premium they're charging. This could be different for you depending on disposable income, practical skill and how much you value your own time.

If you've never driven a Series, for the love of Dog go and drive one or two before buying one - they are an acquired taste!

That V8 one looks smart but I think they've spent more attention on making it look nice than doing it properly - the ECU in the engine bay is going to suffer going through puddles (those were mounted under the driver's seat in a RR) and possibly from heat too. The U-bolts + springs are rusty with splashes of paint which tells me they've got a big tin of gloss black chassis paint and chucked it around underneath to make things LOOK all fresh.

No shots of the converted bits - engine, power steering could be horribly installed. Also a standard 88 has the smallest drum brakes, with a 3.9 you're going to wish it hadn't.

ย 

Budget wise, tell us what you want and I'm sure we can make suggestions - a ready-to-drive fully-restored motor, a slightly tatty runabout, a rolling restoration project...? What are you doing with it - bimbling around in the sunshine, towing a horsebox, carting people & animals around...?

Small extra point ..

ย 

Look at pic of engine with bonnet up, bottom of bonnet RHS (passenger) rusty coming through paint ?????

ย 

How much of a make it look good blow over with paint and 4 tons of silicone spray and snot are covering up whatever might really be the truck ?

ย 

If I was to even think of buying it I'd ask to see "In Progress" pics = none = Foxtrot Oscar M8 :D

ย 

What do you want it for is the big question?

Commute to work every day?

Go off road?

Go to shows?

Obviously not restore one!

Decide, then think of all the land rovers for sale and which suits your objective

And remember that despite all that has been done on it, there are a lot of parts that are coming up to 50 years old, and that is a long time for rust/corrosion/wear to take place, and though you can maintain a landy with a hammer and pair of pliers (almost!!!), working on seized rusty parts needs care.

BJ

ย 

Bowie and Fridge are spot on. ย I'd add that it has no heater fitted, but no hose from the blower, so it's non-functional) and the tub floor is lacking the longitudinal reinforcement. ย No expensed spared... I disagree. ย It looks very tidy, but worthย half that price.

If you're new to old vehiclesย - then it may be worth being clear that it's standard vehicles that will keep their value.

So either a restored one or an un-restored one in original condition are much less likely to lose you money if you sell it and much more likely to turn into an asset if you keep it.