Discovery series 1 3.9 v8 looking to buy

muddy4x4xfar

Hey all. Im currently in the process of looking for another motor. Been thinking about 3.9 v8 discovery 1 . Just wondering any advice. What to look out for. Iv tried looking on here to see if there is anything so i apologise if i have. Ideally id like a v8. Iv always had diesels. Id like something with a bit more grunt ideally  

I know sometimes cams need changing from things i have read and heard. Are they fairly easy to do or is it a engine out issue? 

Just any advice is all i am after. 

Many thanks chris 

Well I have had my D1 V8 for twenty years this month, although it hasn't done a lot of mileage the only time a spanner has touch it is in servicing fluids, filters etc and spark plugs + replacement of a water pump, when the bearing failed as 40k miles so I'm happy with the D1, as I was with my RR for the 10 years of ownership, but the cam failed with that vehicle at 100K mileseven though it was main dealer serviced all its life, I had that replaced and then I sold it a year later, again I'm happy with the V8.

The cam can be replace with the engine block insitu.

it will depend on what the vehicle has done in its life, number of owners, off reading, or on staying on the Tarmac  like my disco what u pay and what issues you will get basically like any other vehicle. And they rust, so they tell me:)

Edited by teabag