sheared body mount 110 csw

Hi

I've just returned from the Scottish highlands and my truck did not fare too well and sheared a rear  body mount on the byways and lanes that we used a fair bit of.

Can anybody tell me if the mounts are available or is it just a case of fabricating a repair?

Cheers Mark

body mount.jpg

To repair that is a body off or at least the roof & rear tub/upper body sides. 

That's the large cross member at forward mounting point for the rear suspension A frame arms,  not a body mounting, 

if it was mine I would be sourcing a new galv chassis.

• Sad 1

There is a company on eBay that make 110 half chassis that includes this crossmember. So you could buy that or maybe they could make this crossmember for you. However welding it in will be tricky in situ and I'd be concerned at the integrity of the rest of your chassis.

Mike

Yes, that's scary.  And it's top of chassis, so indicative of deeper problems.  There have been at least two repairs nearby already.  I'd be taking that off the road today, goodness knows what the brake lines are like.

If you are time poor, but have cash, then I'd re-chassis, if you are time rich, but cash poor, I'd strip it to the chassis, get it blasted and repair it.

If you are time and cash poor, your doing something wrong, and should buy a KIA, or a Hyundai, until you have the time or cash to fix it.  But please don't drive it.

Sorry, not what you want to hear on a Friday night.

• Like 1

I would imagine that once you get to scraping away all the underseal etc to find good metal to weld too, there won't be much left unfortunately.  But have a ruthless prod around with a screwdriver and a bash with a hammer, scrape of underseal and see what the state of the surrounding metal is - I have repaired localised problems in the same area but I suspect you may reached the end of the road on this chassis. 

Your chassis is scrap and the vehicle lethal!  I can't imagine corrosion that extreme is isolated; the chassis will be riddled with it. If you get caught driving it in that condition, you'll be in  lot of trouble, and if you hurt anyone in an accident, you'd be looking at prison time.  For everyone's sake, including your own, please don't drive that vehicle again until the chassis has been replaced.

15 hours ago, miketomcat said:

There is a company on eBay that make 110 half chassis that includes this crossmember. So you could buy that or maybe they could make this crossmember for you. However welding it in will be tricky in situ and I'd be concerned at the integrity of the rest of your chassis.

Mike

Thanks Mike, just messaged them about half chassis.

I was going to re chassis earlier this year when I swapped the engine but put it off because of the lead time for a new chassis from Richards.

Thanks for your replies.

Just to put everyones mind at rest the truck is off the road.

The damaged occurred in Scotland and I took it to an MOT garage for temporary repairs. They plated both sides with 3mm steel to get me home.

The front half of the chassis is in much better shape than the rear so I'm considering a half chassis from the people Mike mentioned. Has anyone had any dealings with RCP at Southam in Worcs?

Thanks Mark

temp repairs.jpg

15 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Yes, that's scary.  And it's top of chassis, so indicative of deeper problems.  There have been at least two repairs nearby already.  I'd be taking that off the road today, goodness knows what the brake lines are like.

If you are time poor, but have cash, then I'd re-chassis, if you are time rich, but cash poor, I'd strip it to the chassis, get it blasted and repair it.

If you are time and cash poor, your doing something wrong, and should buy a KIA, or a Hyundai, until you have the time or cash to fix it.  But please don't drive it.

Sorry, not what you want to hear on a Friday night.

Owning two Land rovers I am of course both time and cash poor LOL. 

I can sympathise with cost concerns, but I think you'll find problems throughout the chassis if you look hard enough, and a half chassis will be a false economy.  With Defender values doubling in the past year, it's a sound investment.

As others have said, it's not the most common place for a Defender to rot out, so there will be numerous more problems in the coming years. I see there is already another patch on the lower side of the chassis in that photo. A new chassis gives peace of mind and prevents the eternal welding cycle.