200tdi diesel fuel pump leaking

Read some of the problems leaking diesel pump but it still doesn't fit in my problem: the engine is from a disco and does very well for the last 170.000 miles in my 110. But for the last couple of months the pump is leaking diesel between the pump housing and the cambelt housing. Doesn't look that it is leaking through the belthousing, no drips through the bottom hole. The car is at the moment in Swaziland and a workshop told me that they can fix the problem by removing the pump and fit a new seal on the drive shaft. So far so good but it's a problem to find the spare parts. At the moment in Europe so plan is to order the parts, seal and seal kit through e-bay, interspares2000. The parts numbers give me a headache. Anyone know if they are correct so that I bring the right Bosch parts back to Africa? Bosch diesel fuel pump seal nr. 1 460 283 312 and Bosch diesel fuel pump seal kit nr. 1 467 010 059. I hope anyone is familiar with these Bosch part numbers. Or maybe someone will tell me that the leak is a different problem.  Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum, dutch-pete.  I can't help you on this one, but you've certainly chosen the right forum for quality technical advise.  Congratulations.   I'm sure an adult will be along soon to help you.  All the best with your search for the correct kit.

Mike

I'd be wary of assuming the leak s only external.  The timing belt sheds rubber particles over time, and this builds up inside the casing.  Some mechanics will clean it all out when they replace the belt, some ignore it, so it can really build up if serviced by a monkey.  It's quite absorbent, so it could prevent a small fuel leak from showing at the drain hole.

I'd wash and dry the whole area and then run the engine while looking for fresh fuel leaks.  It's possible that it is a gasket or seal on the external components, like the rpm advance mechanism housing, throttle quadrant shaft, a fuel hoes or union, etc.

thanks guys for the reply. Dailysleaze: thanks for the diagram, very helpfull! And bought the repairset through e-bay, many thanks! Snagger: It's difficult to see where the leak comes from, but 99% sure that it is between the pump housing and the timingbelt housing (when the engine is running). Changed the timingbelt 25.000 miles ago (me, the monkey, it's Africa so don't trust that many so called mechanics). The bush mechanic in Swaziland (Portugese guy) has a lot of experience on Landys and worked on dieselpumps before. So fingers crossed. And still a newbie after 8 years on the forum?

DSCF0928.JPG

I can't see how you can have a leak emanate from there unless the casing is cracked.  There should be a gasket between pump and timing case, so a leak from the pump shaft seal should remain inside the timing case.  I'd check the fuel pip unions again. 

Thanks Snagger, in two months i'll be back in Swaziland and will ask the mechanic to check again where the leak comes from before taking off the pump. From underneath i can see that the drips are coming from between the pump and timing belt casing. The three bolts are tight and they checked the pipe unions but still .... Will let you know what the problem is in a couple of months.

Thanks dailysleaze. What i remember was that the pump was dry and that the only drips came from between the housing and timingbelt housing. Buit I/they will check it again before the start taking off the pump (and change the timingbelt etc at the same time). Bought the kit, wil arrive in the next couple of days. And will you all know what the exact problem was in a couple of months.