Adding Toad Immobiliser to Defender TD5

Hello everyone. I'm new here and fairly new to Land Rovers! After two years of owning a 30 year old 90 300TDi, I've traded it up for an '03 plate TD5 90.

I'm looking to make it a wee bit more secure etc! I've a brand new - un-fitted Toad Sterling Touch Cat 2 immobiliser which would make sense fitting. I've been over the installation instructions but looking for any member advice before I go cutting and soldering wires.

I've attached a couple of screen grabs from their instructions however can anyone point me towards the best wires/connections to use and their best location. It is the connecting of the BLUE and WHITE wires I'm unsure of:

BLUE - 'starter motor isolating circuit [18a relay used for this circuit].
WHITE - 2nd isolating circuit [18a relay used for this circuit] This circuit must be live during cranking and engine running.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

File 04-09-2017, 10 38 26.jpeg

File 04-09-2017, 10 51 02.jpeg

Hi and Welcome to the forum...

Blue wire....

The relay for the starter is in the main fuse box in front of the gear lever... The feed wire is orange & black 

(Relay is usually 2nd from the left)

White Wire....

There will be a wire on the key barrel that remains live for cranking... Can't remember the wire colour off hand but I'm sure a grown-up will be along to advise. (Try looking for a white / brown and testing with a meter....)

Hope this helps....

Neil

59 minutes ago, V8 Freak said:

Hi and Welcome to the forum...

Blue wire....

The relay for the starter is in the main fuse box in front of the gear lever... The feed wire is orange & black 

(Relay is usually 2nd from the left)

White Wire....

There will be a wire on the key barrel that remains live for cranking... Can't remember the wire colour off hand but I'm sure a grown-up will be along to advise. (Try looking for a white / brown and testing with a meter....)

Hope this helps....

Neil

Thanks for coming back so quickly Neil. Appreciated. I will have a poke about tonight!

I'm guessing I would 'cut' into the starter relay wire as it goes into the relay? The immobiliser will prevent the relay from triggering the starter - yes/no?

Edited by overcamp67

57 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

A lot of insurance companies won't accept DIY fitted alarms, should that be a concern.

Good point. Currently down us 'none/factory fit' so should be OK and insurance was granted OK. Will probably have to keep it as that status, not mentioning the immobiliser, but it's there for my own piece of mind.

1 hour ago, overcamp67 said:

Thanks for coming back so quickly Neil. Appreciated. I will have a poke about tonight!

I'm guessing I would 'cut' into the starter relay wire as it goes into the relay? The immobiliser will prevent the relay from triggering the starter - yes/no?

I recently converted my Td5 Defender to auto and I cut the orange / black wire, fitted connectors (So I could re-connect quickly if needed) and that relay / connection is now controlled by the Compushift ECU... If not in Park or Neutral the ECU won't power the relay and therefore won't let the car crank.

I'm assuming this is what your alarm will be doing too...

Neil