3.9 efi into 110 wiring problems

Hi all, new member look forward to using the forum more. Sorry to jump strait in without a formal introduction but a little about me: i run a business in breaking landrovers and building custom vehicles mainly for export to the usa. I own a few models. Discovery 2 td5 (tow vehicle) lr 90 (promo vehicle) 110 station wagon (camping vehicle) l322 for being flash.

anyway ive searched what feels like the entire web and not found my answer so thought id try here.

we are currently fitting a 3.9 efi v8 into my own 110. We have done this conversion before on a customer 90 and found the online info for wiring to work perfectly. Now with this on i removed the engine complete from a 1998 discovery complete with the entire loom ect. Now here is where ive run into my problem. The main plug 7pin where the power and switch power is connected has in the past been a whit plug with various color wires. Follow online guide done and driving. However the plug fitted to my loom is brown still 7 pin but none of the colours match what all the wiring diagrams suggest. Now i think i have a rough idea what to connect but i dont want to chance it. Ive attached pictures could anybody please tell me what to connect where ? Any help will be greatly appreciated 

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

I can help you with some of them. Plain black is usually earth. Brown is unfused permanent live, purple is fused permanent live, white/purple is fuel pump No1 White/green is fuel pump No2

This might help you determine what the others are doing.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/cms/files/colour_code_for_vehicle_wiring_-_new_order_2.pdf

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/colourcodes.htm

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but 1998 is a D2 which are notoriously difficult to get running in another car. I think I'm right in saying they had a clever fuel pump in the tank that delivered exact fuel pressure which may cause headaches But I may be getting mixed up with the Thor system. Best of luck

From Disco_Elec.Troubleshooting Manual - LRL0077ENG (1997).pdf.... and this one too 1314CU_14CUX_Systems info.pdf

Brown/Light Green - Fed by fuse 7 in engine compartment fuse box, 20A rate, permanent live

Purple/White - Fed from fuse 6 in engine compartment fusebox, 15A rated, permanent live

White/green - Fed from fuse 3 in Satellite fuse box, 10A rated, Ignition/cranking live

White/purple - goes out through inertia fuel cut off switch, then on to the fuel pump, also powers lambdas and purge valve

Blacks - ground, probably, is there a stripe on either of these?

Seems like the relays etc are all the other side of that connector, C216, so it looks very much like three lives, two grounds, and one fuel pump out.

Is the final one Brown/Red or just brown? Can't see a just brown on the diagrams...

Wow! Not sure why i didnt get a notification about all these replys, i did in the end have a crack at wiring it myself and this was my progress so far  We ended up wiring the thick green/brown to permanent live feed, and the white/green to switched live. Earths ran through the original loom. Coil stayed connected to the loom as it came out just needed earthing. Could not find a power output for the fuel pump so for the moment its on ignitionswitched live. Runs well just going to finish off the main fitting like props ect and test drive it. I would however like to get the fuel pump working on the correct wiring and by the sounds of it im missing the second fuel relay live purple and white was mentioned above. About the other wires. People asked what colour they are thats my trouble both sides of the plug have different wires ill post on monday the exact wires.

On 07/09/2017 at 4:53 PM, Bowie69 said:

From Disco_Elec.Troubleshooting Manual - LRL0077ENG (1997).pdf.... and this one too 1314CU_14CUX_Systems info.pdf

Brown/Light Green - Fed by fuse 7 in engine compartment fuse box, 20A rate, permanent live

Purple/White - Fed from fuse 6 in engine compartment fusebox, 15A rated, permanent live

White/green - Fed from fuse 3 in Satellite fuse box, 10A rated, Ignition/cranking live

White/purple - goes out through inertia fuel cut off switch, then on to the fuel pump, also powers lambdas and purge valve

Seems like the relays etc are all the other side of that connector, C216, so it looks very much like three lives, two grounds, and one fuel pump out.

Is the final one Brown/Red or just brown? Can't see a just brown on the diagrams...

I think from memory the blacks are part of the spyder bypass system but im pretty sure one of the blacks had a red trace. I managed to get it running and can hear the fuel pump relay clicking on for 5-7 seconds then off again but i cant get a live out to control the fuel pump. Sounds like im missing a live wire. I have 2x purple and white wires one thick and one thin. It seems to run with only 2 power supplys one permanent and one switched i also found that the brown wire controls the starter motor with 12v to it the starter turns. My current set up is 12v permanent to the thick brown/green and switched live to the green/white. I tried to upload a vid of it running for the first time but file was to big.

Edited by Andyfox2005

On 07/09/2017 at 4:53 PM, Bowie69 said:

Yes final one was brown on the male side of the plug with power it operates the starter motor on the loom from the discovery

So heres what i have so far and the engine runs with me powering the fuel pump my self not through the ecu loom 

thick brown/lightgreen (permanent live)

thin white/green (switched live)

brown (starter live)

the other wores i have are 

thin purple white

thick purple white

Black x2

bare in mind the engine actually runs now but cant find a feed for the fuel pump i do hear the fuel pump relay clicking when ignition is switched on it clicks and holds the 5-7secs later it clicks again assuming that noise is the initial prime procedure 

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

One is white/ purple, one people/white.

As above thick white/purple is fuel pump out. However, this will only be live for a couple of seconds after ignition on, then off, then on again when spark (i.e crank) is detected.

Thanks for the reply, yes i understand that, i have no pump power out at any point. Im thinking i need to connect the thin white/purple to power also as that seems to be for fuel pump relay to