Thread size on transfer box 1989 110

Groan. Thought I'd do a quick oil change on the transfer box. Turned the drain plug and it snapped. I was able to poke the remaining half of the bolt around and withdraw it. Cycled the 8 miles to and from town and got a new one.

Back underneath I gently inserted new plug and applied some spanner and it only went in halfway and seemed to get very tight. Unscrewed it and found that the magnet was no longer on the end but was now stuck up the hole, having parted company with the bolt. Anyway was able to poke it out using some bent wire having taken off the inspection cover but it was a total pig of a job.  I think there's a duff helicoil up the hole and thats whats creating the problem. I cut a bit off the end of the new plug and it went ok and tightened up quite well and seems to be leak free so far. 

So, to my question  Anyone know what the thread is on the drain plug? And is it tapered? I've seen a suggestion that it might be M12 x 1.5? 

(And if it is a duff helicoil, how do I remove it to replace?)