110 1991 CSW door lock barrels & ignition switch

Both front door locks on my vehicle are defective, one totally useless, ie inoperable, as opposed to being subject to tea spoon operation, and the other is intermittently so.  The decision I need to make is whether I should order three barrels, one for each of the front side doors and the rear safari door, or should I order four barrels, and include the ignition lock.  I would prefer to have a common key for both doors and ignition.  My question is does the ignition lock have the same design barrel as the doors?

I assume that the replacement lock barrels supplied by Paddocks provide the usual, ineffective, token  LR security.  Does anybody have experience and recommendation for an alternative, please?  I prefer not to start modifying the doors, but if needs must ........

All responses, on either question will be very much appreciated, thank you.

Mike

“Only 2002+ door locks can use the ignition key, due to the barrels being wider and longer. Unless you upgrade to these then it's always going to be 2 keys.”

Not so.

My 300TDi used matching keys which I bought from SP Global Parts, long key with short barrel door-locks which fitted & worked perfectly (I say did because I have Optimill handles now which use a different type of lock entirely).

I see that others now offer the same kit as SPG.

18 minutes ago, Litch said:

“Only 2002+ door locks can use the ignition key, due to the barrels being wider and longer. Unless you upgrade to these then it's always going to be 2 keys.”

Not so.

My 300TDi used matching keys which I bought from SP Global Parts, long key with short barrel door-locks which fitted & worked perfectly (I say did because I have Optimill handles now which use a different type of lock entirely).

I see that others now offer the same kit as SPG.

Optimil handles? Link please.

On 11/09/2017 at 10:55 AM, timc1967 said:

That's a weird site - doesn't explicity state that these are pretty much all direct replacement Defender parts. Is that the case?

Prices are high, but I can see its heavy duty, built to last; more so than OEM.

They are direct replacements, I've fitted the bonnet hinges and I watched a guy swap the door handles on his truck and it seemed to fit with no problems or fettling needed.  But as Mo said not great if you catch a tree as your likely to loose half the door before the handles give way... they are well made....

I've also got the SPF locks on mine. Apparently they take the standard locks and file down the pins, so it's pot luck as to how well they work when re-keyed to the front half of the ignition key. A couple of mine work well, one you can open with any bit of metal approx the right size. 

If I was doing it again (and this is on the jobs board for the LR!) I'd remove / disconnect all of the lock barrels and rely on remote locking from the alarm, with the rear door as a keyed backup. I've already got the central locking so half the job is done, it just needs connecting up - but if you haven't you can get cheap remote locking kits from ebay for £30 or so.