Forum Logo - Show off your graphic design skills

geoffbeaumont

I've been having a go at sprucing up the LR4x4 logo that Happyoldgit made a few years ago - but none of us in the mod team are exactly blown away by my efforts, and none of the other mods claim any graphic design skills either, so we thought we'd see what the rest of you could come up with.

As a reminder, this is the current logo:

lr4x4-logo.gif.bb263fc211eaef43cafd8756540b3426.gif

and this is the cleaned up version I came up with:

LR4x4-Logo.jpg.0a7930febf2faf0f2a4313d19cebebb3.jpg

It's an improvement, but maybe a missed opportunity - plus the brushed steel look means that when it's saved as a PNG with a transparent background the file size is rather large, and it would be too expensive to use it on the stickers (clothing would likely be embroidered anyway, which kind of gives a similar effect though usually at 90o).

So I tried a solid version too:

LR4x4-Logo-solid.png.0ce81e3f970a5d075d4d490c541b5ca6.png

More practical but not as nice.

So, if you fancy having a crack at a new logo, here's the brief:

1. Broadly similar typeface and colouring to the current logo, for continuity (the current font appears to be Impact). The blue in the background of mine is the header colour from the site, so it obviously needs to look good on that. It should be usable on different backgrounds - ideally it should be usable on white or have a reversed version.
  2. Sensible files sizes when exported as a 24bit PNG.
  3. Must be suitable for production as a car/window sticker, and on clothing - if necessary in a simplified form but ideally exactly the same as on the site (the current stickers use a silvery finish rather than the "reflection" of the site logo).
  4. Can be either just text or incorporate a graphical element. Keep it clean and simple, though.
  5. Doesn't need to maintain the .com from the current logo (but doesn't have to get rid of it either).
  6. Should be suitable for use in a square format for social feeds (this can be a modified version of the logo or placed on a background colour - probably the blue from the site header - just as long as it looks good).
  7. Should be available as a layered graphic / vector graphic with all elements editable.

Closing date for submissions, either on this thread or by PM to me is the end of this month (30th September 2017). We'll then shortlist the entries we consider meet the above criteria and post them on a poll for all the members to vote for their favourite.

Gentlemen and ladies, start your enginesgraphics editing software...

• Like 4

If it ain't broken why try fix?

Its part of the identity of the forum so imho this shouldn't be changed lightly.

I'd also like to think we should keep the ".com" part too, if its a sticker on a vehicle LR4x4 by itself doesn't really mean that much unless you are in the know... but LR4x4.com suggest its a website and any jo blogs can recognise that and type it into a browser for a look? - mind the first place people probably turn to is Google for anything so you could argue it doesn't matter so much. But I think the ".com" should be included. 

Suggestion change colours? Gold/Green or Silver/Green or Silver/Black more Land Rover type colours?

Mav

• Like 1

Unfortunately it *is* broken... source files we have are too small to be used by social media, or in any context that requires a larger image, and by today's standards looks somewhat dated, given when it was first designed, it has done rather well in lasting this amount of time to be honest :) So yes, a 'serious discussion' has been had (as serious as it gets in A&M forum...) before this point was reached .

LR4x4 as a brand is blue/silver, so in that respect we don't really want to deviate too far from those colours, though adding a colour here or there would not likely make or break the design, likely improve things :) 

As per point #5 the .com can be kept or removed... if the design works, the design works :) 

On 9/11/2017 at 9:25 PM, geoffbeaumont said:

Sensible files sizes when exported as a 24bit PNG.

It might be worth suggesting a max size as the current one is 2.98kb

Mine is 27.3Kb but is over twice the size at 400x200

I think part of the old logo's problem is it on 198x40 so it is stretched on higher dpi screens

Obviously it will depend on size, but kept under 100KB for a 400x400px image wouldn't be a bad thing.

As it is specified that a simple/fairly flat design is needed, it will likely compress very well anyways, and not cause any issues at all.

It's no photo after all :)

Definitely not forever - the deadline's the end of this month :) Followed by a poll and then we'll implement the logo, per my original post.

It's a fair point about losing the .com on the stickers (and I guess to a lesser extent clothing) - depending on whether it works with the chosen design we could always have a version including the .com for those.

As an aside - I meant to credit Steve (HappyOldGit) for creating the current logo, which has worked very well for the last few years both on the site and on merchandise. Thanks Steve :D

• Like 1

As far as file size goes, if the design is clean it should compress fairly well - things that lead to large file sizes (especially when combined with transparency) are gradients, photo-realistic/complex graphics - basically anything that means there are a lot of colours in the image. 24bit PNG (the only web-safe image format that allows alpha transparency - effectively see through colour areas as opposed to simply fully transparent or fully opaque pixels) has a list of all the colours in the image and a map of what colour each pixel (dot) is so if you only have two colours in the image you have a tiny colour table and the image compresses very well. In reality if you want smooth transitions between colour blocks (especially along curves) you will have a number of in between colours blending between the blocks, and also smooth curved edges need a few partially transparent pixels in order to blend smoothly with the background colour the image is placed on. However, if the image is relatively simple then the number of in between colours needed should be relatively small. Compressing the image for the web is mostly balancing the number of these "in between" colours there are to get an acceptable compromise between image quality and file size.

I wouldn't worry too much about exact file sizes at this stage - anything Pete (Bowie69) or I are concerned might not compress enough we'll test when we shortlist for the poll.

Takeaway: Keep the design clean and simple and the file size should be fine.

I think in this day and age, and with browsers no longer requiring us to type "www", the dot com bit tells the reader that it's a website address. Therefore I vote we ought to keep that bit.

Sorry I have no graphic contribution to make :(

I was going to say "my crayon days are long gone", but in truth I never had any.  However, I was wondering about incorporating a more visual image, so I plagiarised one of the earlier suggestions.  My first concern was to be careful not to include words or images related to "Difflock" (for obvious reasons).  I also concede that the diffs are in the wrong place on the axles, unless you're looking up at the vehicle!

LR4x4.JPG