Alternative level plug for Salisbury axle?

My axles are pretty old and the level/filler plugs are not as snug as they once were as the holes have stretched and the plugs go pretty far in, so I'd interested in replacing with ones that have a collar on them. This pic is of a disco 2 plug - will this fit a 110 axle? Or are there alternative 110 plugs that will do the job?

FTC5403.jpg

10 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

Can't comment if they will fit or not but if you take the old one to any diecent nut and bolt supplier they will be able to tell you the thread size and you can start looking for a new bung from there...

I'll be doing that I suspect! I was curious if anything in the LR inventory was a 'fit'. I;d had it suggested a radiator plug might fit, but not looked into that yet.

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

John, the filler plugs are a tapered thread where as that one looks to be a parallel thread.

Mo

Mo - I've just tried a proper Bearmach replacement magnetic filler plug and it just turned all the way in and was on the verge of falling into the diff case before I unwound it. It certainly wasn't going to get tight but I don't think the problem is the new plug rather that the aperture has been stretched over the years. The van is 1989 and had been very well serviced (ex-fleet vehicle) and the filler plugs were very well wound in when I got it.  

3 minutes ago, ejparrott said:

BSP tapered plug, from memory I? think the Salisbury is 1/2" BSP.  Measure the diameter, subtract 1/4", that will be close enough to tell you

Thanks EJ - measuring stick out this afternoon and see what it says! 

58 minutes ago, dave88sw said:

I had this problem on a salisbury and found that the diff cover plate isn't particularly expensive so it made sense to buy a new cover plate and filler plug.

Ha! Funny I was just looking at those this afternoon. Realised if it all went pear-shaped I can unbolt the cover and fit a new one!  The current plugs are ok, it was a minor thing-to-do to fit a magnetic plug but the actual drain hole in the bottom where the magnet will do most good is fine - there's plenty of plug protruding so when I drop the axle oil I'll replace with the new ones. 

15 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Can you not just wrap the plug with ptfe tape?

I'd say proper fix would be to pop the pan, pretty straight forward, you get to see the diff in all its glory too :)

Yes, and I've done that! It was the new magnetic plugs I tried to fit that were so loos they'd either fall out of the diff or fall inside, unless I whacked some mastic on too. I was trying to be too smart putting magnetic plugs on filler holes as well as drain. They went into the drain holes snugly so that'll be fine!  (but having a look at a salisbury diff would be a bit of a sight!)

I found a large washer with a hole only slightly smaller than the OD of the plug and welded it on carefully keeping the square hole clear. Been like it for about 10 years and has never leaked and I never put any sealant on it. Could wind it right through before.

6 hours ago, Simon Smith said:

I found a large washer with a hole only slightly smaller than the OD of the plug and welded it on carefully keeping the square hole clear. Been like it for about 10 years and has never leaked and I never put any sealant on it. Could wind it right through before.

Thats a good idea - plugs are cheap and washers too so worth a try. Thanks!