Alternator issues

Landy7

I changed my 2.5TD engine with a 200tdi. The alternator on that 200tdi looked a bit burned, so I just took it off before placing the 200tdi. I went for a britpart 100amp alternator, fitted it, but nothing.. Send him back and received the confirmation that it was a dead on arrival part and got my money back.. So I ordered a britpart 65amp, installed it and all fine..

When I started the engine, the alternator light went out immediately, and the light on my battery splitter lit up, all good! After a few weeks of driving, after starting the engine, the alternator light would only go out, if I revved the engine a bit, read that it was normal so all still good.. But week after week, I needed to rev more and more to make the alternator light go out, and if I was idleing before a stop light, the alternator light would come up again. Now, again a few weeks later, the alternator light doesn't lit up when turning the key and just flikkers very soft when driving .. the light on the battery splitters has the same, soft flikkering, so not enough power..

Should I stop buying Britpart stuff or can something else cause this? Bad earth?

Edited by Koen110

Well it might be a faulty alternator but you can check around a few other things first.

Check that you don't have a slipping drive belt to the alternator (tension etc). Then electrically you can check the security of the connections on the back of the alternator and following the cables back to starter and/or battery. You are looking for good electrical contact so clean, bright and tight. 

My Lucas 65a and original 45a had the same "blip to extinguish" from day one, it also had a little habit of munching belts...I changed to the 100a britpart and touch wood it's been fine...no need to blip and the belt has been fine too. Before the swap I had fitted extra earth straps to the block and carried out continuity checks for the charging light circuit but to no avail. 

May be worth checking the earth wires at the the instruments are good 

I had same problem - checked belt and it was tight enough, but after eating three belts and same flickering problem I discovered the actual pulley was both very worn (25 years old!) and I'd not tightened it enough so it was slipping under load. WOrked reasonably ok at idle but when revved would slip. it wasn't at all obvious.

3 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

I had same problem - checked belt and it was tight enough, but after eating three belts and same flickering problem I discovered the actual pulley was both very worn (25 years old!) and I'd not tightened it enough so it was slipping under load. WOrked reasonably ok at idle but when revved would slip. it wasn't at all obvious.

Great tip! That could be it since I needed to swap the pulley over and was not sure on how hard to tighten.. Will check tomorrow!

Are you running anything else off the charge light wire?  I use a split relay for a second battery spliced into that wire, and it needs a small blip on the throttle to excite the alternator as a result (returns to normal behaviour if I disconnect the relay).

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed! I checked all the connections and the small wire on the alternator, for the charge light, had no cable insulation at the end and was dirty, I cleaned it up and everything works perfect again. Added some insulaton to prevend it from happening again. Thanks guy's!

• Like 1