info needed from the experts

cj01

Hi gents just had a dropped liner  engine is the 3.9 Now acquired a low mileage thor from a p38,Really need my defender back on the road.stripped the thor top end and putting 3.9 top end back on trying to keep things simple for now.Big conundrum is the thor timing pulley! do I need pulley machined and a new trigger wheel?could I change timing covers and use 3.9 crank pulley?? Since I megasquirted my defender I have never been happier never missed a beat apart from the dropped liner.Help from the pros will be appreciated.

cheers chris

Morning !

Yes serpentine is stronger, stick with it !

Yes the trigger wheel is going to be different see here : 

https://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/ms_thor.php

you have now : 

https://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/ms_3-5_etc.php

Pulley needs amchining - I can do if needed, and you will also need a new VR sensor unit - the sensor will fit ok.

Nige 

Chris,

As per chat

Suggest read Jeffs install !

Then

Trigger wheel modified to take 4.6 Serp nTrigger wheel - DONE

VR sensor Bracket - To fit 4.6  use existing VR Sensor

Thor TPS PLug

Thor 'Inlet Manifold Coolant Take Off' Pipe - Conversion Unit

Thor MAT (Manifold Air Temperature Sensor) Conversion use existing MAT Sensor

Thor Thermostat Upgrade to Standard Rover V8 Thermostat Conversion Kit

Thor AFM replacement unit for MAT sensor AND For PWM Control - use existing PWM

PWM Control Mounting Plate (part of kit)

Use existing Coil packs they will fit onto thor brackety

And my up to date CD as it covers thor,

Send me a email re the above on megasquirt.v8@gmail.com and I;ll repsond, but thats pretty much all needed to go from a MS V8 to Thor top end !

Nige

Hi gents.looking for some pointers.got my goody box from Nige for converting my gems system over to the thor got all the parts fitted and engine fitted problem I have is I thought I could use the gems fuel rail and injectors and original pump on trying to fit the bananas the passenger rear part fouls the fpr.so plan b, was mentioned I could use gems injectors with the thor fuel rail uhuh bananas still won't fit as the gems injectors sit the fuel rail higher can't bolt bananas down.And I'm now going bananas 😂👍 Any of you gents came across this problem?cheers Chris I need 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 

The FPR could be separated from the fuel rail, or you could use the thor rail with an external FPR (same difference). The Thor system has the regulator in the tank/pump hence not on the rail but it doesn't really matter as long as you get fuel at the right sort of pressure into the rail!

Hi fridgfreezer thank you for replying.How would I go about seperating the fpr from the fuel rail I did have the gems fuel rail fitted but didn't like the way the fpr fouled the bananas.Plan B.got informed I could use the gems injectors with the Thor fuel rail but the bananas are fouling the fuel rail so can't tighten them down.would I have to change the fuel pump and fit a remote fpr to use the Thor injectors and fuel rail?is there a bendefit to using the Thor injectors and fuel rail over the gems injectors and fuel rail.Landroversforever yes the bananas are turning me bananas 😂😂😂😁🍺🍺🍺🍺 cheers Chris.Anyone any word on Niges new project?

EFI fuel pumps will hit 100psi if the regulator locks up so yes almost any of them should work - just be aware that the older style FPR has a vacuum connection to regulate the pressure relative to the vacuum in the plenum, whereas a fixed regulator will just give a constant pressure - all it means is fuel maps done for one type will have a different slant than ones done with the other.

I thought the FPR unscrewed from the rail but it's a while since I've looked. I *think* some car fuel filters have a regulator built in - think Seat Ibiza circa 2004 is one of them, just another avenue to explore...

Hi fridge,thanks for your input adjustable fpr is the way to go.Going to use the Thor fuel rail and injectors.Starting to understand things a bit better now.just noticed no timing marks on the Thor crank pulley any ideas on how to get the timing right.Also thinking of getting blos log anyone using this set up.cheers again. chris

You should have got a FPR in Niges kit. Instead of trying to make things fit why dont you Just use Thor injectors and rail?

inhave learned the hard way that you should avoid cheap adjustable FPRs, if your buying one, look at a good one.

the injectors are set up for 52psi (from memory) you need the Thor fuel connection to the rail, it sort of plugs in. To get a return line you remove the valve core from the bleed point at the top of the rail. Simples.

Hi Doug i hear you loud and clear.Did  ask  about fuel pump and fpr when talking with Nige he said i could adapt gems rail. i dont have the machining capabilities so cant happen.got it all sorted in my mind now the bananas have stopped making me go banananasssssssssss :blink::D fpr ordered looking forward to finnishing this.Any you guys using a blos lpg system?

cheers chris