RRC 3.9 efi all relays clicking - HELP !!

mbc

Cheers Members !

i just bought a 1990 RRC with the 3,9 efi engine in it. had a p38 10 years ago - and loved it. saw the poor thing - always wanted a classic - and bought it.

Allthough the dealer said the engine would not turn over.

did a lot of research - the engine does turn over now - had a bad earth/ground connection.

It still wont start. when i turn the key, sometimes a lot of relays start clickering. the fuel pump relay, the aircon relay and also (sometimes) all the injectors of the rh side of the vehicle 

2-4-6-8 clicker. even with the key only in pos. 1                8-()

every 5-10 times of turning the key - there is no clickering but the main relay - and the fuel pump power on (just got it new - old one was seized) actually as it should sound.

i have been looking into ground/earth issues - grindig off every bit of corrosion that i've found. the car had been resting for 15 Years.

did all electrical tests of the 24 step check. actually they all succeded - but the one aircon test (compressor was hoocked off.)

is it the ecu? i have no more clues where and what to look for. BTW i also have a weak spark. but it sometime did fire a little... (lil smoke out of the intake) 

Fuel is running - pressure is ok (my first (standard) fuel hose bursted now have the high pressure version fitted to the test setup... Maybe some important info: 

my fuel pump (at least i've heard so - doesnt shut off after 4 sec. it keeps running.

no more ideas on this. would love to see and feel it run.

on paralell im doing the "big anti rust program - lots of welding - footwells & wheelarches - but i think this is "normal" and ive seen worse on my 1999 Mercedes S500...

got to get the beauty back on the road...

thanks for every bit of help!

Mike

Edited by mbc

Welcome!

There's a comprehensive fault-finding guide for the EFI system in the technical archive section, very detailed - run through it step-by-step, DON'T skip anything because you "know it's OK" (because sod's law...), come back here & post the results / how far you got / glowing success story ;)