Not Usual TD5 Fuel Problem

I have a problem with my 110 TD5 which only happens when the fuel level is below half full above this no problem and parked on a slight uphill. When you come to start it fires up instantly then stops after about 10 - 15 seconds. If you put it on a purge, you can hear air in the filter and then fires up and all is normal again. I think the fuel is running back when parked on a slight slope (does not have to be much of a slope and only uphill). If the tank level is above half no problems and no starting issues.

So what would be causing the fuel to run back? It is on its 3rd fuel pump and it has done it with all of them! The current pump is a genuine one. I have changed the air release valve in the filter head and it has had injector washers in the past, but has not had starting issues. It has also had a new fuel filter within the last month not that I expected that to make a difference. About the only thing I have not touched is the fuel regulator, is there any non return valve in it that could be a problem or would the regulator itself be an issue? The fuel pressure is a constant 4.2 bar when measured. I am fairly convinced that it is something high up in the fuel system which is the problem as parking on the flat or downhill there is no issue. There are no fuel leaks at the injector o rings and the sump level does not move between oil changes.

I am almost convincing myself that it must be the regulator, but any other ideas would be gratefully considered, in mean time I will park it facing down hill!

Toby

That is the air bleed valve which has already been replaced. There is a non return valve fitted in the pipe behind it, but not all TD5's have them and they do not appear to be a non return valve when you buy one, but just a plastic tube. My one does not have the so called non return fitted but can do (£16 for a bit of plastic!) in the process of elimination, but still leaning towards the regulator.

I have just filled it up with diesel, so normal service resumed until it reaches half full!

Toby

It may be similar to a problem I had a few years back.. 

Full tank of diesel and all worked fine, down under half - quarter and it stopped running and gave the impression of being out of fuel.

I took the fuel line off the filter and pumped into external cans for storage and the pressure the pump could deliver at different tank fills was amazing.

Changed the fuel pump and all was well.... 

Changed the fuel pump (3 times) and flushed the lines. The thing is it runs fine down to nearly empty with no loss of power. You can stop it and it starts completely normally, even if left overnight providing it is on the flat or facing down hill. Even then it starts then cuts out until it has been reprimed. Something is allowing the fuel to run back when the fuel tank is below a certain level (around half a tank) above this no problem what so ever. Going to try a another air bleed and a filter non return tube (not sure how it works as it has nothing in it) and see if that locks the fuel in the high pressure line - failing that I am still leaning to the regulator.

Toby

• Like 1

• 1 year later...