Transfer Box - Changing final ratio guide

My old transfer box cracked its case, so I got a replacement.

My original I beleive was a 1.2 and the car topped out at 65/70mph~

I've got a second hand repalcement fitted, based on the serial no it was also a 1.2 or thereabouts.

Fitted, it works fine but now topping out at 55mph~ It must have been changed on this unit in the past :unsure:

Seeing as I have the final ratio that I want, how much of a job is it to switch the two over?

I've looked online, can't seem to find a guide for this, as it seems quite a common change?

Can it be undertaken in situ, or must the transfer box be removed.

Mmmm valid point, it feels bloody slow, I'll get the GPS on it this evening.

This is with a 200tdi, LT77 and LT230 transfer box on a 90 defender.

Its on 33's but as said, seemed much quicker before. Perhaps its just placebo effect :huh:

That seems very slow, it shouldn't struggle that much. Looking at your engine RPM Vs speed will tell you the (approximate) ratio you've got (REAL speed not speedo speed as your speedo / gear could be mis-matched).

At the least I'd want to check the old gearset you're intending to swap in isn't damaged (did the case crack for a reason?), and that the boxes are indeed compatible types/builds - LT230R is not the same as LT230T for example.

1.2 boxes are cheap & plentiful so I'd be tempted to spend £50 on a replacement known good one and just fit that rather than faff about with gears.

I don't have a rev limiter, im only going by ear but at 50 it sounds like it's screaming.

It may go 50+ but by sounded like it was nearly bouncing off the limiter already!

On the old transfer box when doing 70 giving it is all, it sounded at less revs than it is now!

Definitely not low range. I've checked that.

It feels like 3rd!!

1st, 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th all work, abliet very closely matched. I'm contemplating changing to 5th at 35mph..

Tomorrow I'll stop being a pussy, and take some earplugs..

Took some brave pills..

Got up to the dizzying heights of a GPS verified 61mph.. wow (speedo suggests 70)

This is at about half throttle, but it sounds crazy revs, and personally I'm not a fan of revving the nuts off old diesel engines.

Atleast I know I can go the same speed as lorrys, so no longer dangerously slow.

It will do for a few months, I'll look at fitting a replacement in the new year probably..

As someone said above, if you've got a 1.6 box you should have no trouble selling that on / px-ing it for a 1.4 or 1.2 plus some cash as the big boys like them.

Are you 100% certain no-one's fitted lower ratio diffs to your truck at any point? :ph34r:

You can't over rev or hurt the engine.  The injection pump is governed at 3800 rpm and is safe to run as long as you want.  I think you need someone to have a look at it for you or come for a drive.  Either you have some other non stock gearing in there as Fridge suggests or you are not used to what they sound like.  You probably need to hook up a tach.