Transfer Box - Changing final ratio guide

I'm not sure about the diffs, to my knowledge they are standard, from the reading I've done a lt77 and 1.2 transfer box make a good all rounder for a defender.

Tbh, I hadn't driven it in 3 months, and have been using a diesel X type and a supercharged 4 cylinder petrol which loves to rev.. maybe I have just forgoten the landy experience.. 

As far as I know, its all in good health and have no reason to doubt its condition.

Receipts for recent timing belt, and replacement turbo suggest to me its been looked after, and general conditon under the bonnet seems very tidy.

Took it to Italy last year, so as I said I'm confident thats not at fault :)

47 minutes ago, tommobot said:

As far as I know, its all in good health and have no reason to doubt its condition.

Receipts for recent timing belt, and replacement turbo suggest to me its been looked after, and general conditon under the bonnet seems very tidy.

Took it to Italy last year, so as I said I'm confident thats not at fault :)

Even if its had all the obvious servicing/TLC, tappet adjustments are often overlooked. Old colleague commented that his 200 was like a new engine after I suggested it :).

Interestingly on the Transferbox serial number... the Ashcroft website says to use the first two numbers and last letter for the serial type. Which then makes yours a 20B which doesn't match up with anything on the ashcroft list? :huh:

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Even if its had all the obvious servicing/TLC, tappet adjustments are often overlooked. Old colleague commented that his 200 was like a new engine after I suggested it :).

That's why I suggested it too - a club member had a rocker shaft snap in the alps, on repairing it and setting the tappets he said it drove better than it ever had! I've heard similar reports from a mate of a mate who splashed out on a properly fully reconditioned (not "working 2nd hand") injection pump. Same thing, no-one ever checks/properly sets it up if it's running "ok" even if it's 20 years old.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bit of a bump / review.

Been a few months of daily use now, for the most part I actually don't mind it too much now. Fuel economy is about the same, max speed slightly slower and louder but acceleration is vastly improved!

It's initially slow of the line, but between 20 -50 it's not to bad, allowing pulling out onto main roads to be much more 'oppourtune'.

Wouldn't change the transfer ratio intentionally for this one, but it's not the disaster I first feared..