Bulkhead repair or replace

Evening gents. In abit of a dilemma. My current bulkhead o. My 1986 90 is in abit of a state and I'm in 2 minds whether to repair or replace. I was ment to be buying a decent td5 one for £200 but for the past month haven't been able to get through to the guy 😡😡 so now my options are look for another or repair mine. Basically both top corners have started to go I. The last month or so, also the passenger footwell has had a plate welded in and when you lift the driver mat you can see outside. My welding isn't great but I get by so would I be best to repair or replace or does anyone know someone e who might can repair it for me. Cheers

Any replacement bulkheads, no matter how good looking, will find places that need work before fitting - you may want to consider galvanizing the thing as they are a @#$@# to take out and refit...

By the sound of it, yours is repairable.

Bon Courage !

Doesn't sound too far gone, it's a time and effort affair for repairing them. Just purchased a set of repair panels to do a td5 one (extended as listed above), I've also ordered the newly available full vent panels (YRM don't list them, they have corner repairs or vent removal sections). The top corner and vent areas are the hardest to get an invisible repair albeit it depends how far gone your corners are...you may be able to cut out the rust and replace with fresh steel.

The footwells are a mainly spot welded in, if you have access to welding gear give it a go...doing numerous plug welds is great practice.

I agree with Scotts90.  If you've got the time, go  for it.  I'm currently repairing my bulkhead, which wasn't in too bad a condition,  Both footwells needed patching and small areas on both sides at the top.  I'm using 20ga sheet, minimum power setting on my MIG welder with a slightly faster wire feed than recommended.  I find this allows me to bridge the gaps without inputting too much heat and blowing through the sheet.  My bulkhead will be galved, along with the chassis and many other smaller parts, when I finish the repairs.  Bowie69 sent me this vid a couple of days ago, and it's improved my welding tremendously.  I hope you get the same benefit.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:51 AM, Bowie69 said:

@Troll Hunter, watch this, it is a technique I use a LOT on sheet metalwork to great effect (thinner stuff than LR bulkhead too):

Mike

Cheers fellas. Will most likely take your advice and repair it and send to the galvanisers. I have a td5 one adapted to tdi already galved and primed but I need that for my other project or I'd rob it. Best brush up on my welding skills

I replaced my 86 bulkhead with a 2002 td5 one 5yrs ago now, but I didn't have the funds or skills to get it galvanised, I know of at least one hole already that has appeared and its showing signs in other places too, quite disheartening, but on the plus side I have another brand new bulkhead I'll be getting shot blasted and galvanised quite soon and that will be going in the back pocket for the next re-build...